Defence & Security Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
First indigenously-built Scorpene Submarine on 6 April 2015 was undocked at the Mazagaon Dockyard Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
The undocked submarine was named Kalvari and is expected to be commissioned into Indian Navy by September 2016.
The submarine is part of the Indian Navy’s ambitious submarine programme- Project 75. This programme is undertaken in collaboration France to build fleet of six such submarines.
Remaining 5 Submarines will delivered by the MDL to the Indian Navy by 2020 and will form core of the navy’s submarine arm for the next two decades
Features about Scorpene submarine
- Has superior stealth capability.
- Can undertake various operations including multifarious warfare, Anti-submarine warfare, Intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance etc.
- Ability to launch attack on the enemy using precision guided weapons. The attack can be launched from underwater or on surface.
- Designed to operate in all theatres including the tropics.
- Built using special steel that can withstand high yield stress that can withstand high hydrostatic force and enabling to dive deeper.
- Equipped with Weapons Launching tubes (WLT) that can carry weapons on board and can be easily reloaded at sea.
Vice Admiral Surinder Pal Singh Cheema on 31 March 2015 took over the reins of the Western Naval Command as Flag Officer Commanding-in-chief.
He took charge from Vice Admiral Anil Chopra at a ceremonial parade held at INS Shikra in Mumbai. With this, he has the unique distinction of shouldering responsibilities as commanding-in-chief for the fourth time.
Earlier, Cheema while serving in Mumbai had commanded INS Nishank, INS Trishul and INS Virat. Prior to this appointment SPS Cheema was Commanding-in-Chief of Southern Naval Command.
Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba on 30 March 2015 had taken over charge as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Southern Naval Command form SPS Cheema.