Defence & Security Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
United States (US) and Turkey have signed an agreement to train and arm moderate Syrian opposition forces taking on Islamic State (IS) militants.
The deal was inked by Turkey’s foreign ministry undersecretary Feridun Sinirlioglu and US ambassador to Ankara John Bass.
- Under the plan, the US will train about 5,000 Syrian fighters from the Free Syrian Army a year for three years. To train these fighters US is planning to send more than 400 troops.
- This deal marks important step for US President Barack Obama’s plan to turn moderate Syrian rebels into ground forces that will wage war on IS militants.
- While, Western and Arab countries assist them by providing airstrikes to stop IS militants.
- Saudi Arabia and Qatar also have agreed to host similar training programmes which will begin in March 2015.
India successfully test-fired its nuclear capable Prithvi-II surface-to-surface missile from a test range at Chandipur in Odisha.
Test- It was conducted by the Strategic Force Command (SFC) and monitored by the scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
Missile was fired from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) as part of a user trial by the army and met all mission objectives.
About Prithvi-II missile
Prithvi-II missile is the first missile indigenously developed by DRDO under India’s prestigious Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP). It was inducted into India’s SFC in 2003.
- Surface to surface ballistic missile.
- Variants: Prithvi-I for the Army; Prithvi-II for the Indian Air Force; and the Dhanush for the Navy.
- Single-stage, Liquid-propelled.
- Advanced inertial navigation, control and guidance system. It uses advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvering trajectory.
- Payload capacity: 500-1,000 kg.
- Range: 350 km.