Defence Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
American Plane maker Boeing has made scheduled delivery of the first of 10 C-17 Globemaster III airlifters to the Indian Air Force (IAF). Boeing is expected to deliver four more C-17s to the IAF this year and five in 2014. India inked a pact with the U.S. in June 2011, to buy 10 C-17 airlifters, making India the largest C-17 customer outside the U.S.
About C-17 Globemaster-III
A high-wing, 4-engine, T-tailed military-transport aircraft, the multi-service C-17 can carry large equipment, supplies and troops directly to small airfields in harsh terrain anywhere in the world day or night. The massive, sturdy, long-haul aircraft tackles distance, destination and heavy, oversized payloads in unpredictable conditions.
It can land in remote airfields in rough, land-locked regions to serve for military, humanitarian and peacekeeping missions. It can take off from a 7,600-ft. airfield, carry a payload of 160,000 pounds, fly 2,400 nautical miles, and refuel while in flight and land in 3,000 ft. or less on a small unpaved or paved airfield in day or night.
Month: Categories: Defence
As per Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), India would test fire sub-sonic, medium range cruise missile Nirbhay in Feb 2013. The missile is being developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), a DRDO lab.
- All-weather low-cost medium-range cruise missile with stealth and high accuracy.
- Range of 1,000 km.
- It will carry a ring laser gyroscope for high-accuracy navigation and a radio altimeter for the height determination.
- Capable of being launched from multiple platforms on land, sea and air and shall be inducted into Indian Navy, Army, and Air Force.
- Capable of carrying nuclear warheads.
- Capable of flying at different altitudes ranging from 500 m to 4 km above the ground.
- Good loitering capability, control and guidance with high degree of accuracy for maximum impact.
- Nirbhay will supplement the Brahmos cruise missile by carrying warheads beyond the 300-km range.