Defence & Security Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has handed over Resident Identity Card (RIC) readers to Navy Chief Admiral R K Dhowan and Coast Guard Director General Vice-Admiral A G Thapliyal.
As part of RIC Scheme, these maritime security gadgets will be used by security agencies to check identity cards of the residents of coastal areas issued under RIC Scheme.
Government had issued more than 65 lakh people mainly residents of coastal villages with identity cards as per RIC Scheme under the National Population Registrar.
Key facts of Resident Identity Card (RIC) scheme
- It aims to strengthen coastal security measures in 9 states and 4 Union Territories which have a sea-line running along their borders.
- The scheme of issuing Cards is being implemented by the Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner– an office under the aegis of Union Home Ministry.
- Under this scheme, Union Government will prepare National Population Registrar (NPR) in 3,331 coastal villages by issuing Resident Identity Cards (RIC).
- RIC readers will be used by coastal security agencies to authenticate an individual’s demographic and biometric authentication without using Internet services.
- RIC cards are manufactured indigenously and can be read only when the key present in the RIC readers.
- RIC reader is temper-proof and self-destructs itself if it is opened in an unauthorized manner.
- Initially, these card readers will be issued to the Navy and Coast Guard. Later it will be given to Maritime Police stations and state governments.
Union Government has sacked chief of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) Avinash Chander, 16 months before his contract end.
Termination of his contract was approved by Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with effect from 31 January 2015.
He was appointed as DRDO chief in June 2013. He was to retire on 30 November 2014, but government had extended his tenure beyond his retirement on contract basis.
About Avinash Chander
- In 1972, he had joined DRDO after completing graduation in Electrical Engineering from IIT Delhi. He is a fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineers.
- He is the chief architect of Agni series of ballistic missile systems and considered as Agni man of India.
- India’s range of Agni missiles were developed missiles under his technology forecast, perspective planning and relentless efforts.
- Awards: He was awarded Padma Shri for his contribution in the successful development of 5000-km range Agni-V missile.