Defence & Security Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On the occasion of the 54th Valour Day (Shaurya Diwas) of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), President Ram Nath Kovind launched ‘Veer Parivar App’, a mobile application for families of CRPF personnel killed in the line of duty.
About the Veer Parivar App
- The Veer Parivar App will act as an interface between the CRPF authorities and the next of kin of the slain personnel.
- The Veer Parivar App will be installed securely on the phones of the slain personnel families and will not be available in the app stores.
- The app will provide assistance to the families of the martyred CRPF personnel with regard to issuance of ex gratia, pension benefits etc.
- The app will also provide all the necessary information regarding the welfare schemes introduced for them by the government.
The Android-based Veer Parivar App will provide assistance to the families on a real-time basis and the CRPF authorities will respond to the issues raised by the members of the families of the slain personnel.
The Cabinet Committee of Security has cleared the proposal for the procurement of the 464 T-90 tanks from Russia.
About the Procurement Deal
- The cost of the acquisition is expected to be worth over Rs 13,000 crores.
- The deal also includes a Make-in-India element for integration at the Heavy Vehicles Factory in Avadi near Chennai.
- The acquisition will increase the new T-90 regiments by 10 more units.
- The new T-90 tanks would be equipped with thermal imaging night sights to allow the tank commander to strike enemy locations during night battles.
- T-90 battle tanks are expected to be deployed on the borders with Pakistan.
- T-90 has emerged as the main battle tank of the Indian Army. It would be replacing the older variants of T-72 and T-55 tanks in the force
The acquisition is expected to tackle the problem of Indian Army’s 4000- strong tank fleet has been battling with night blindness in the past and these new tanks would help in doing away with that.