Defence Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Indian Air Force launched a mountaineering expedition to Gorichen area of Arunachal Pradesh with an aim to explore and climb unclimbed peaks. The 15-member team of IAF personnel was led by Wg Cdr D Panda. The expedition included both experienced and newly trained mountaineers. The team climbed an unclimbed peak of height 5887M in two groups. This peak is on the west of Mt Gorichen and has been named as Mt Garud Parvat by the air warriors who climbed it for the first time in history. This expedition was unparalleled in a way as the valleys and mountain peaks had never been explored.
Tags: Air Force • Current Affairs - 2017 • Current Affairs 2014 • IBPS
The UN honored 106 peacekeepers, including 8 Indian soldiers, who lost their lives in various UN peacekeeping operations on the occasion of the International Day of UN Peacekeepers on May 30.
Indian Army United Nations peacekeeping missions
India has been the leading troop UN Peace Keeping Missions since its commencement. Up to now India has participated in 43 UN Peacekeeping missions with an involvement surpassing 1,60,000 troops and a noteworthy number of police personnel having been positioned. In 2014, India is the 3rd largest Troop Contributor [TCC] with 7,860 personnel positioned with 10 UN Peacekeeping Missions, of which 995 are police personnel including the first Female Formed Police Unit under the United Nations.Recently, Indian Peacekeepers were applauded by the UN for their works in checking a massacre in the South Sudan.
Past UN Peace Keeping Missions of the Indian Army
Indian Armed forces’ contributions to the United Nations Peacekeeping Missions since 1950:-
- Korea (1950–54)
- Indo-China (1954–70)
- Middle East (1956–67)
- Congo (1960–64) (ONUC)
- Cambodia (1992-1993)
- Mozambique (1992–94) (ONUMOZ)
- Somalia (1993–94) (UNITAF & UNOSOM II)
- Rwanda (1994–96) (UNAMIR)
- Angola (1989-1999) (UNAVEM)
- Sierra Leone (1999-2001) (UNAMSIL)
- Ethiopia-Eritrea (2006–08) (UNMEE)
Current UN Peace Keeping Missions of the Indian Army
- The Indian Armed Forces are currently undertaking the following UN Missions:-
- Lebanon (UNIFIL) (Since Dec 1998)
- Congo (MONUSCO) (Since January 2005)
- Sudan and South Sudan (UNMIS/UNMISS) (Since April 2005)
- Golan Heights (UNDOF) (Since February 2006)
- Ivory Coast (UNOCI) (Since April 2004)
- Haiti (MINUSTAH) (Since December 1997)
- Liberia (UNMIL) (Since April 2007)