Defence Current Affairs - 2019
Defence Current Affairs of 2018-19 related to India’s Defence, Indian Armed Forces, Defence Production, Defence Acquisition and related matters for SSC, States Civils, UPSC and Other Competitive Examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Vice Admiral Bimal Verma has withdrawn his petition from the Armed Forces Tribunal which challenged the appointment of Vice Admiral Karambir Singh as the next navy chief replacing Admiral Sunil Lanba. He was superseded in the appointment.
Why did he withdraw the Petition?
- According to the rules, Vice Admiral Bimal Verma had the option of filing a statutory complaint with the Defence Minister before taking the legal recourse.
- Vice Admiral Bimal Verma approached the tribunal if he is not satisfied with the way his complaint is addressed by the Defence Ministry.
- The tribunal has asked the petitioner why the option of approaching the Defence Ministry was not availed.
The Tribunal asked them to explore the option of approaching the Defence Ministry and allowed them to withdraw their plea.
Indian Army built the longest suspension bridge over Indus river in Leh in just 40 days and the bridge is named as Maitri Bridge.
- The bridge was constructed by the combat engineers of ‘Sahas aur Yogyata’ regiment of ‘Fire and Fury Corps’ of the Indian Army.
- The bridge is 260-feet long.
- This cable suspension bridge is expected to give a major boost to connectivity in remote areas in Ladakh.
- The bridge is constructed using around 500 tonnes of bridge equipment and construction material.
- Maitri Bridge has been dedicated to the people of India to commemorate the 20th year of Kargil Vijay Divas.
The bridge is part of the central government plans to all-weather road connectivity in the region.