Environment & Biodiversity Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Environment Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Environment and Climate Change 2019 all important national updates in Environment events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed a Central Monitoring Committee to prepare and enforce a national plan to make over 350 river stretches pollution free across the country. River pollution has caused a serious threat to the safety of water and environment.
Order of NGT
- The committee would comprise representatives of NITI Aayog; secretaries of Ministry of Water Resources, Ministry of Urban Development and Ministry of Environment; the director general of National Mission for Clean Ganga and the Central Pollution Control Board chairman.
- The Committee will also coordinate with the River Rejuvenation Committees of the states and oversee the execution of the action plans, taking into account the timelines, budgetary mechanism and other factors.
- Chief Secretaries of states would be the nodal agency at the state level.
- NGT directed the Ministry of Environment to consider a policy for giving environmental awards to outstanding persons (natural and juristic) and institutions or states and introducing “dis-incentives” for non-compliant states.
- The Central Monitoring Committee may consider identifying experts, best practices and models for use of treated water, including plan to supply untreated sewage for a price or otherwise so that the concerned needy party can treat and utilise such water as is reportedly being done at Surat in Gujarat, Nagpur in Maharashtra and Bhilwada in Rajasthan or any other place.
- Use of polluted water in irrigation is a threat to the health of human beings apart from the aquatic flora and fauna. Hence it is necessary to have a regular hygienic survey of the rivers particularly with reference to pathogenic organisms having an impact on human health directly or indirectly and It is necessary to note that biological health of the rivers is an important aspect.
- There has to be a regular study of the Indian rivers with regard to biological health and its diversity.
The NGT has issued the order after taking note of the article “More river stretches are now critically polluted: CPCB” in the Hindu.
Seychelles President Danny Faure delivered a speech from deep below the ocean’s surface. Seychelles President made a global plea for stronger protection of the Oceans which are beating blue heart of our planet.
The underwater speech comes at a time when many island nations including Seychelles threatened by global warming. Seychelles is an archipelago of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean, off East Africa. Small island nations like Seychelles are among the most vulnerable to the rise in sea levels caused by climate change.
The speech was made during a visit to an ambitious British-led science expedition, Nekton Mission exploring the Indian Ocean depths.
Nekton Mission is aimed at enhancing the humanities knowledge and understanding of the world’s oceans to speed up the protection and governance of our last great wilderness, the deep ocean.
Nekton is an independent, not-for-profit research institute working in collaboration with the University of Oxford.
Nekton’s missions are undertaken with host nations and combine scientific research, capacity development, ocean governance and public engagement.
Nekton Mission in the Indian Ocean named First Descent is a series of expeditions to explore and conserve the world’s most unknown and least protected ocean, the Indian Ocean.
The data from the Nekton Mission will be used to help Seychelles expand its policy of protecting 30% of its national waters by 2020.