Environment & Biodiversity Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Environment Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Environment and Climate Change 2019 all important national updates in Environment events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Government on 14 April 2015 constituted a task force on interlinking of rivers in the country.
The Task Force will be chaired by former Secretary of Ministry of Water Resources B N Navalawala and comprises experts and senior officials.
Terms of References of Task Force
- Take up all issues related to expediting the work on interlinking of rivers in the country.
- Consider alternative plans in case of infeasible links in the present National Perspective Plan (NPP) apart from examining the existing links which are laid out as per the NPP under both Himalayan and Peninsular components.
- Facilitate interlinking of intra-basin and intra-state Rivers, along with that of inter-state and inter-basin links.
- Recommend time schedules for completing feasibility studies of all the river links along with implementation schedule.
- Suggest different means of funding mechanisms for the interlinking of rivers project.
- Provide guidance norms of appraisal for individual projects in respect of economic viability, environmental impacts, socio-economic and preparation of resettlement plans.
- Device suitable mechanisms in order to bring speedy consensus among the states.
- To implement the interlinking of Rivers, propose suitable organizational structure.
India is going to chair the ninth International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) council meeting to be held in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
The 9th IRENA council is scheduled to start from 10 June 2015 and will be a two day event.
In this meeting 21 member nations of IRENA council are going to take part. They will guide the agency’s future programmes and activities.
About International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
- IRENA is an intergovernmental organization to promote adoption and sustainable use of renewable energy. It is the global hub for renewable energy cooperation and information exchange within its member nations.
- Founded: in 2009 and its statute entered into force on 8 July 2010.
- Headquarters: Abu Dhabi.
- Two governing structure: IRENA Assembly which takes decisions at macro level and gives policy guidance.
- IRENA Council is main governing body and is responsible for implementing various decisions of assembly.
- Members: In total it has 140 Members. India is one of the 33 Permanent and founder members of IRENA.