Environment & Biodiversity Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Environment Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Environment and Climate Change 2019 all important national updates in Environment events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council has launched a rating tool ‘GRIHA for Existing Day Schools’ to evaluate the environmental performance of existing schools across India.
GRIHA for Existing Day Schools
- GRIHA for Existing Day Schools will work as an integrated tool to evaluate performance and provide solutions for enhanced energy and water efficiencies, increased thermal and visual comfort, and decreased operational and maintenance costs.
- The rating system is also aimed at familiarizing the students with the concepts of sustainability by involving them, under the guidance of their teachers, on evaluating the environmental impact of schools on the environment.
- The rating system will also provide the students and teachers with an opportunity to establish contact with nature and with each other using the approach of co-creation and understanding.
GRIHA Council is a registered society for the interaction on scientific and administrative issues related to sustainable habitats in the Indian context. It was founded by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) with support from the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy along with a variety of experts in the fields related to sustainability of built environment from across the country.
GRIHA Council promotes GRIHA- the National Rating System as a design and evaluation tool for green buildings and habitats.
The last captive white tiger named Bajirao died recently at Sanjay Gandhi National Park, in Borivali (Mumbai suburb). He was 18 years and died due to old age related issues. He was born at national park in 2001.
Reason: He suffered from chronic ankyloses (fusion of bones leads to abnormal stiffening and immobility of joint) on left shoulder and chronic senile generalised arthritis from past four years. Bajirao was born at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park in 2001.
About White tigers
- They are not a separate sub-species of tiger. They are basically a pigmentation variant of the Bengal Tiger. Their white colour is due to lack of red or yellow pheomelanin pigment, and presence of unique recessive genes. They are also called Bleached Tiger.
- Characteristics: They have white to almost cream colored fur, pink nose, black/grey/chocolate colored stripes and blue (looks like green or amber).
- Distribution in India: They were found in Madhya Pradesh, Assam, West Bengal, Bihar and in Sunderbans region. Now there are no white tigers in wild as their entire population in world lives in captivity. The last white tiger reported in wild was captured in Rewa forest in Madhya Pradesh.
Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- It is a protected area in Borivali suburb in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- It was earlier known as Borivali National Park.
- It encloses two lakes namely Vihar Lake and Tulsi Lake and has a protected archaeological site, called ‘Kanheri Caves’ in its centre.