Environment Current Affairs - 2020
Latest Environment Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Environment and Climate Change 2019 all important national updates in Environment events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The year 2020 has been nick named as “Super Year” by global advocacy groups including the United Nations. This has been done to highlight 21 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and their targets.
India marks the “Super Year of Biodiversity” with the Conservation of Migratory Species Conference of Parties 13. The year includes UN summit in September 2020 and will end in UN Biodiversity Conference in the end of 2020.
In Super Year, the SDGs of Climate, Ocean, Gender, life below water and land are to be implemented. Several major initiatives to achieve these SDGs were taken by the United Nations. This year all such initiatives are to be given special focus. They are as follows
- The Beijing Programme of Action marks 25th anniversary in 2020. It was framed in 1995 at the fourth United Nation World Conference on Women.
- The 64th session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women is to be held in March 2020.
- The COP 26 is to be held in Glasgow in 2020 to address the gaps that were undermined at COP 25 and also harmed the reputation of COP 25.
- The first Global Transport on Sustainable Transport is to be held in May 2020
Life Below Water
- The Strategic Plan for Bio Diversity 2011-20 comes to an end in 2020. It was adopted in 2010 at the convention on Biological Diversity. In 2019, the Inter-governmental Science Policy platform published the Global Assessment of State of Biodiversity and Ecosystem services. It listed 20 Biodiversity Targets. They are now to be taken for implementation in 2020 as the plan end in 2020.
- The IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is to hold World Conservation Congress in Marseille, France in June 2020. It is being organized once on 4 years.
2020-A Decade of Closure (Ocean)
- Apart from a new beginning, the 2020 will also close bio-diversity related agendas. It includes the Decade for Deserts which marked the fight against desertification. This was marked by the UN Convention to Combat Desertification.
- The Second UN Ocean Conference is to be held in 2020. The first was held in 2017 in New York. Since its first conference the community has been working on ocean acidification.
Tags: Biodiversity • Conservation of Migratory Species • COP25 • Gender Equality • IUCN
On February 16, 2020, at the CMS COP-13, the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species Conference of Parties-13, was marked by India. The Convention is to be held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat between February 17, 2020 and February 22, 2020.
On the sidelines of CMS COP-13, India and Norway declared the 2020-30 decade as the “Decade of rapid action on Climate Change and Environment”. The countries will work together towards strengthening mutual cooperation on climate and environment including ocean affairs.
The countries decided to work towards mitigating marine plastic pollution. This is to be done on the lines of Kigali Amendment of Montreal Protocol and MoU signed between India and Norway under India-Norway Ocean Dialogue (INOD). Under the MoU India-Norway Marine Pollution Initiative was adopted.
In October 2016, the Montreal Protocol was signed by more than 170 countries in order to protect ozone layer and climate. The Kigali Amendment to the protocol aims to phase down the Hydrofluorocarbons.
Tags: Conservation of Migratory Species • Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals • Convention on Conservation of Migratory Species • India-Norway • India-Norway Marine Pollution Initiative