Environment Current Affairs - 2020
Latest Environment Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. Latest developments in Environment and Climate Change 2019 all important national updates in Environment events for the year 2019.
Scientists have recently identified a new species of wasp from the genus Kudakrumia in Goa. The wasp species was collected from Western Ghats forest.
- Nomenclature: The wasp is dubbed as Kudakrumia rangnekari. It has been named after Parag Rangnekar, a Goa-based researcher.
- Genus: It belongs to genus Kudakrumia. The Kudakrumia is a genus of primitive wasps that is described and previously known only from Sri Lanka.
- Found: The new Wasp species was collected in the Western Ghats forests from Cotigao Wildlife sanctuary (located in South Goa district).
- About Wasp: It is any insect of order Hymenoptera and suborder Apocrita which means neither a bee nor an ant. Wasps are proficient at controlling pest populations and thus are deployed to protect crops. For instance in Brazil, farmers control sugarcane crop borers with a kind of parasitic wasp.
About Parag Rangnekar
- He is founder-president of the Goa Bird Conservation Network (GBCN). He has now undertaken documentation of dragonflies in State.
- His quest to document butterflies in the Western Ghats region has resulted in a record of 220 species, of which 13 species had not been spotted earlier.
Tags: Apocrita • Cotigao Wildlife sanctuary • Goa Bird Conservation Network (GBCN) • Hymenoptera • Kudakrumia Genus
India’s only orangutan named Binny died at the age of 41 in Nandankanan Zoological Park in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- About: The Nandankanan Zoological Park (NZP) has lost one of its beloved members the 41-year-old orangutan ‘Bini’, an extant species of great apes.
- Background: The lone female orangutan Binny, was brought to Nandankanan Zoo from Pune’s Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park on 20 November 2003, when she was 25 years old. Since her arrival she has been alone in her zoo enclosure and zoo officials failed to arrange a male partner for her.
- Reason: According to NZP, ‘Binny’ died due to age-related complications. He also suffered from respiratory tract infection. Tissue samples were collected and postmortem is scheduled, for further investigation to correlate exact cause of death.
- Care: She was taken out of the enclosure a year ago. The orangutan was under treatment for a year by experts from College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, OUAT. Even the orangutan’s experts from United Kingdom (UK) and Singapore were also giving constant advice.
- The word “orangutan” actually means “person of forest”.
- They are one of the world’s three extant species of great apes.
- Orangutans are native to Indonesia and Malaysia and are currently found only in rain forests of Borneo and Sumatra.
- They are considered to be among most intelligent primates. An orangutan can live up to 45 years in the wild and even more in zoos.
- They have been extensively studied by researchers for their learning abilities.
- They use a variety of sophisticated tools and even construct elaborate sleeping nests from branches and foliage.
Tags: Bhubaneswar • Binny India's Orangutan • College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry • Extant Species of Great Apes. • Indonesia