Important Days and Events Current Affairs - 2020
Latest Events & Observances Current Affairs 2019-20 related to important days, weeks and months. In this category, we put important days celebrated and observed in India and states.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first edition of World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
The summit was organised by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) with the theme Beyond 2015: People, Planet and Progress.
- WSDS has replaced TERI’s earlier called Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS). The first DSDS was organised in 2005.
- It underscored need for businesses and private sector to take lead in poverty reduction and to ensure rapid and sustained adoption of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- It had brought together Nobel laureates, decision-makers political leaders from around the world to deliberate on issues related to sustainable development.
- The aim of the summit is to provide various stakeholders a single platform in order to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community.
- 2016 WSDS also hosted events like World CEO Sustainability Summit, Thematic Tracks, Media Colloquium, Youth Leaders and Greenovation Exhibition.
For more information: About TERI
Tags: Environment • Events • National • President Pranab Mukherjee • Sustainable Development
The World Habitat Day (WHD) is observed every year on the first Monday of October throughout the world. This year it was observed on 3 October 2016.
2016 Theme: “Housing at the Centre”. It aims to raise awareness about need for affordable housing for all in urban areas, cities and towns.
Focus of the theme
- Access to adequate housing is a global challenge due growing fast with urbanization.
- Around one quarter of the world’s urban population continues to live in informal settlements and slums.
- An increasing number of urban dwellers, especially the poor and vulnerable groups are living in precarious conditions.
The United Nations General Assembly had every year on the first Monday of October as World Habitat Day by passing resolution 40/202 in 1986. The observance of the day seeks to remind the world of its collective responsibility for the habitat of future generations.