Government Schemes & Projects Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Government Schemes Current Affairs 2019 for UPSC Exams, Bank Exams, Civil Services, SSC and other Competitive Exams. This category comprises current affairs related to various government schemes, government policies, projects, and government campaign launches such as portal, apps etc. also.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Government has launched National Green Highways Mission (NGHM), a plantation drive around 1500 km of National Highways.
It was launched by the Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi.
About National Green Highways Mission
- NGHM was launched under the Green Highways Policy, 2015 to provide a holistic vision of developing eco-friendly and green National Highways.
- The mission aims to provide a green canopy along 100,000 km of highways and create jobs for 1 million youth.
- It has been initiated to engage corporates, Public Sector units, Government organizations and other institutions for developing green corridor along National Highways through plantation and allied activity on median, avenue and other available nearby land patches .
- The funds for the mission will be met by Green Fund corpus which is 1 per cent of the total project cost set aside for plantation purposes
- Potential: The afforestation across National Highways is expected to help in sequestering approximately 12 lakh metric ton carbon annually.
- It will also generate jobs and can be a game-changer for agriculture and rural economy.
- In future, the mission will be linked with the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee scheme.
Besides, the minister also launched ‘Adopt a Green Highway’ Program, ‘Kisan Harit Rajmarg Yojana’ and National Green Highways Mission Mobile App.
Kisan Harit Rajmarg Yojana: It is a pilot scheme to extend green belt beyond the existing ‘Right of Way’ of highways. It seeks to engage farmers and also provide alternative livelihood option to the nearby communities.
The Union Rural Development Ministry and ISRO, Department of Space have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for geo-tagging the assets created under MGNREGA in each gram panchayat.
Annually around 30 lakh assets are created under the rural job schemes across the country. The MoU was signed after the Ministry had decided that the geo-tagging of such assets will be done on a mission mode to monitor rural development.
- The asset created under MGNREGA and other schemes will be completely geo-tagged with photograph through Bhuvan Mobile Platform by Gram Rozgar Sahayak or Junior engineer.
- The geo-tagging of assets will help to check and curb leakages and for effective mapping of terrain for future developmental works.
- It will also help in using of modern space technology for rural development in planning and execution of projects in a transparent manner.
Recently, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had underlined the importance of online recording and monitoring of assets created under various schemes to check leakages and for effective mapping of terrain for future developmental works.
It also had become necessary for online recording and monitoring of assets to ensure quality as huge amount of funds under the recommendations of 14th Finance Commission are now flowing through to Gram Panchayats which will in turn lead to poverty reduction in rural areas.