Governance & Politics Current Affairs - 2019
Latest India Current Affairs and Current Affairs related to Government policy, polity and administration in India. India’s National Current Affairs updates for 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The one-day National Conference of Tourism Ministers organized by Union Ministry of Tourism was concluded successfully in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Tourism & Culture (Independent Charge) Prahlad Singh Patel and was attended by State Tourism Ministers of 19 States, Secretaries of Tourism and senior officials from States and Union Territories (UTs). Participants deliberated on various issues related to development and promotion of Tourism.
Key Highlights of Conference
Tourism Minister handed over 3 new Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) and 5 new Letters of Intent (LoIs) to prospective Monument Mitras at conference.
Presentations were given by State Governments of Kerala and Sikkim showcasing their best practices in tourism sector.
Tourism Minister urged all states and UTs-
For better coordination between Centre and States to increase number of tourists in India and to make concerted efforts to realise Prime Minister’s dream of doubling tourists, both foreign and domestic over next 5 years.
To follow norms of UNESCO while making proposals for Heritage site of their sites with help of ASI.
To focus on adventure tourism to attract more tourists in this sector as India has great potential in its natural sites
Various Initiatives Launched-
Incredible India Portal: At the conference Hindi version of new Incredible India portal was launched by Tourism Minister. The Arabic, Chinese and Spanish versions of new Incredible India website will be launched in September 2019. The new Incredible India website was launched on 14 June 2018 and since then the website has attracted 85,84,928 total visitors including 65,31,722 Unique Visitors (as on 31 July 2019).
Incredible India Tourist Facilitator Certification (IITFC) portal: This IITFC Programme is a digital initiative of Union Ministry of Tourism for citizens of India to become a part of booming Tourism Industry. IITFC is an online programme where anyone can learn about tourism at their own time, pace, path and space. The successful completion of this programme would enable learner to become a Certified Tourist Facilitator of Union Ministry of Tourism.
Discussions were held with States and UTs to get their inputs and feedback on following areas-
- Developing an all-encompassing One Stop Solution including information on tourism related services through a web based application and a Grievance Redressal Mechanism through Twitter and Tourist-Helpline
- Adoption of Adventure Tourism and Bed & Breakfast or Homestay Scheme Guidelines by States or Uts
- Status of projects sanctioned under Swadesh Darshan & PRASHAD (Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Augmentation Drive) Schemes and implementation of Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
Tags: IITFC portal • Incredible India Portal • Incredible India Tourist Facilitator Certification Programme • Monument Mitras • National Conference of Tourism • PRASHAD Scheme • State Tourism Ministers • Swadesh Darshan • UNESCO Heritage Sites • Union Ministry of Tourism
Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) organized a one day National Workshop Cum Exhibition on Sustainable Sanitation at Vigyan Bhawan on 19 August 2019. The Chief Guest of event was Thawar Chand Gehlot, Union Minister, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJ&E). It is being organized as part of year long celebration of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary.
Key Highlights of Workhop
Objective behind organising workshop on sustainable sanitation- To bring together relevant stakeholders to strategize on mitigating risks associated with manual entry into sewers or septic tanks in a systematic manner, and help eliminate such incidents and fatalities.
Participants: More than 800 representatives participated in workshop including Principal Secretaries (UD) and Mission Directors of AMRUT (Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation) and Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) in States/Union Territories and Municipal Commissioners of 500 cities with population of 1 lakh and above, heads of Parastatal bodies, officials from MoHUA as well as MoSJ&E and development partners.
Focuses on: Discussing social & legal issues and technological & managerial interventions with regard to human entry into sewers and septic tanks.
- Workshop saw discussions and presentation of best practices on Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) based biomethanation under Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transportation (SATAT) initiative of Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoP&NG) and cotreatment of organic fraction of MSW with sludge.
- Workshop will showcase best practices on Operation and Maintenance (O&M) of sewerage system such as co-treatment of septage, faecal sludge management with mechanical cleaning of septic tanks, mechanical cleaning of sewers. It showcased latest equipment and machinery for cleaning of sewers and septic tanks in exhibition.
- Roles and responsibilities of Emergency Response Sanitation Unit (ERSU), a proposed unit to systematise human entry into sewer or septic tanks in a professional, well trained, motivated and appropriately equipped manner.
- Wastewater and stormwater management including rainwater harvesting in line with Government’s focus on water conservation through Jal Shakti Abhiyan (JSA).
Ministry also released a Manual on Stormwater Drainage Systems, 2019, Advisory on ERSU and Directory of Sewer and Septic Cleaning Equipment prepared by technical experts from Central Public Health and Environmental Engineering Organisation (CPHEEO).
This day long interaction among stakeholders on sustainable sanitation is expected to culminate into a comprehensive roadmap for ensuring sustainable sanitation in urban areas. Also, in coming days, State/ UT and ULB level representatives will organize similar workshops in their respective areas to further disseminate information and insights on this crucial subject thereby lending a new dimension to the issue of safe and sustainable sanitation.
Tags: Central Public Health and Environmental Engineering Organisation • Emergency Response Sanitation Unit • Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary • Manual on Stormwater Drainage Systems 2019 • National Workshop on Sustainable Sanitation • Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transportation • Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs