International Current Affairs - 2019
Latest International Current Affairs 2019 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Thailand hosted the 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers Meeting (ADMM)- Plus in its capital city Bangkok. ADMM-Plus is key ministerial-level platforms in regional security architecture for promoting strategic dialogue and practical cooperation between ASEAN and its 8 partner countries viz. India, China, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Russia and US.
Participants in this edition of ADMM-Plus included Defence Ministers from 17 countries of ADMM-Plus group. Thereby, India was represented by Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh. As part of the agenda for ADMM-Plus meeting, Defence Minister of India released ‘Handbook on Military Medicine for ASEAN’ along with Defence Minister of Myanmar Lieutenant General Sein Win.
About Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
It is regional intergovernmental organisation comprising 10 Southeast Asian countries viz- Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Vietnam, Myanmar, Cambodia, Brunei and Laos. It promotes intergovernmental cooperation as well as facilitates political, economic, sociocultural, educational, military and security integration among its members and other Asian countries. It was founded on 8 August 1967. It is headquartered in Jakarta, Indonesia. India is full dialogue partner of ASEAN.
It is platform for ASEAN and its eight dialogue partners (Australia,New Zealand, India, China, Russia, US, Japan and South Korea) to strengthen security and defence co-operation for peace, stability, and development in the region. It seeks to promote mutual trust and confidence between defence establishments of ASEAN and its eight partner countries through greater dialogue and transparency. It was established in 2010. It was held for first time in Hanoi, Vietnam in 2010, in which defence ministers of participating countries had agreed on five areas of practical cooperation, including counter-terrorism, maritime security, peacekeeping operations and humanitarian assistance.
Tags: ADMM • ADMM Plus • ASEAN • ASEAN Defence Ministers' Meeting • Bangkok
Pakistan becomes the first country to introduce WHO approved typhoid vaccine. The Vaccine is to be used in southern Sindh province as more than 10,000 cases of Typhoid were documented since 2017.
- A four-week campaign will be conducted targeting 10 million children of age nine months to 15 years. The campaign is launched with the support of Geneva based Gavi Vaccine alliance. The Gavi Vaccine Alliance is backed by several global organization such as World Bank, WHO, UNICEF, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to lower vaccine costs for poor countries.
- In 2017 around 70% of deaths due to typhoid were among children. This is mainly because, Pakistan spends meagre amount of its national resources on public health
- Pakistan is suffering from drug-resistant typhoid fever since November 2016. The Salmonella Typhi bacteria that causes Typhoid is called a super-bug in the country as it has developed resistance towards old drugs.
Typhoid Conjugate Vaccine
The TCV was recommended by WHO in 2018 for infants and children over 6 months of age in typhoid-endemic countries. As compared to earlier vaccines, TCV provides long-lasting protection and requires fewer dosages.
The Vaccine is funded by the United Nations Children Fund (UNCF).
- Typhoid impacts young children in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and Middle-East.
- In these regions, the disease if caused due to unsafe water and sanitation systems and inadequate drinking water.
Bharat Bio-Tech, an Indian Vaccines and Bio-therapeutics Manufacturer in 2018 received Pre-Qualification tag from WHO for the TPV. Through the tag, the firm gained access to global public vaccination programmes. In February 2019, the Pakistan Government approached the company through the GAVI alliance. Under this, Pakistan is now receiving the vaccines.