International Current Affairs - 2019
Latest International Current Affairs 2019 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Pakistan PM on a three-day visit to China – To take up J&K issue; To engage in high level talks – oil, hydropower, steel
PM Imran Khan will arrive in Beijing on 8th October, 2019. He will engage China at the highest level of talks. It includes projects in hydro power, steel mills and oil refinery that are part of the 60 billion USD CPEC – China – Pakistan Economic Corridor. He will also hold talks with Chinese top leaders and discuss about the stalled CPEC projects.
PM is visiting the country for the third time since he took over in August 2018. The visit acquires significance as it comes days ahead of India – China informal summit.
CPEC that passes through Pakistan occupied Kashmir connecting China’s Xinjiang province with the strategic Gwadar port of Balochistan is the flagship project of BRI – Belt Road Initiative. India gained strong opposition from Pakistan and China on diluting Article 370. It is expected that the Pakistani leader will take up the Kashmir issue during his visit.
Tags: BRI • China-Pakistan • CPEC • India-China • India-Pakistan
On 5th October PM Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart signed several MoUs that included connectivity, trade, transport and defense. The agreements include
- A Coastal Surveillance system
- Standard Operating Procedure on the use of Chattogram and Mongola ports
- Withdrawal of 1.82 cusec of water from Feni river for drinking water scheme for Sabroom town, Tripura.
- Implementation of Line of Credit committed committed by India to Bangladesh
- Renewal of Cultural Exchange program – Cooperation in Youth Affairs.
- MoU between University of Dhaka and University of Hyderabad.
The leaders also inaugurated three bilateral development projects
- Import of LPG from Bangladesh
- Inauguration of BIPSDI – Bangladesh – India Professional Skill Development Institute
- Inauguration of Vivekananda Bhaban, students hostel at Ramakrishna mission in Dhaka.
Highlights of the meet
- Under India’s Act East Policy, Bangladesh is provided opportunities to expand connectivity corridors. Both India and Bangladesh are set to increase air, water and rail connectivity to enhance trade between Bangladesh and North Eastern India. As part of this decision, the countries decided to operationalize
- Dhulian – Gadagari – Rajshahi – Daulatida – Aricha route
- Daukandi – Sonamura route
- The BBIN Vehicles motor agreement was agreed to operate early. This will encourage other partner countries of BBIN to join the agreement
- The leaders jointly agreed that the Indo – Bangla coastal Shipping Agreement should be taken as template for BIMSTEC. This will enhance the security of the Indo – Pacific region.