International Current Affairs - 2019
Latest International Current Affairs 2019 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
"Omnishambles" has been named word of the year by the Oxford English Dictionary.
The meaning of the word ‘Omnishambles’ is – a situation which is shambolic from every possible angle.
The word was coined in 2009 by the writers of BBC political satire The Thick of It.
Month: Categories: International
Savita Halappanavar’s death has led to a widespread protests in Ireland and a call to re-look at the abortion laws.
- She was 31 year old dentist originally from Belgaum, India who moved to Ireland in 2008.
- She died on October 28, 2012 in Galway, Ireland.
- Her death led to widespread protests, in Ireland, India, England and other countries and a call to re-look at the abortion laws.
- She suffered miscarriage when she was 17 weeks pregnant.
Her husband claimed that the University College Hospital Galway where she was admitted denied her an abortion because a fetal heartbeat was present, despite the fetus being declared nonviable. This led to septicemia (blood poisoning), multiple organ failure and her death. The fetal remains were eventually removed but too much time had passed.
Why she was denied abortion at the right time when she needed it?
- Under Irish law on abortion, and Offences against the Person Act 1861 abortion is illegal in Ireland.