International Current Affairs - 2019
Latest International Current Affairs 2019 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India and Saudi Arabia held a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the visit of Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to India. The joint statement issued on the sidelines of the bilateral meet between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman highlights the following:
- Affirming that extremism and terrorism threaten all nations, India and Saudi Arabia rejected any attempt to link this universal phenomenon to a particular race, religion or culture.
- Without naming Pakistan the joint statement said that nations should renounce the use of terrorism as an instrument of state policy.
- Constitution of a ‘comprehensive security dialogue’ at the level of national security advisor and setting up of a joint working group on counter-terrorism.
- Saudi Arabia reiterated its commitment to meeting India’s growing needs for crude oil and petroleum products and substitute for any shortages that may arise as a result of disruptions from other sources without naming Iran.
- Saudi Arabia also increased India’s Haj quota by about 25,000. India’s Haj quota now stands at 2 lakh.
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman stated that Saudi Arabia has already invested $44 billion in India since the PM’s visit in 2016 and they see an investment opportunity of worth $100 billion in sectors like energy, petrochemicals and manufacturing.
Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman condemned the recent terrorist attack on Indian security forces in Pulwama in Jammu and Kashmir.
Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj held a bilateral meeting with her counterpart from Spain Josep Borrel. Both the leaders met at Madrid’s Viana Palace, the Spanish foreign ministry’s official headquarters to discuss the most pressing issues on the international agenda.
Highlights of the Bilateral Meet
The important outcomes of the bilateral meeting are:
- Both India and Spain supported the promotion of multilateralism and a rules-based concept of free trade.
- The meet acknowledged the growing degree of interlocution between Spain and Indian and the current understanding between the two countries that share values, democratic principles and vision regarding international affairs.
- Both discussed the budding potential of closer economic ties and industrial and technological cooperation between the Mediterranean and South Asian nations especially in fields in which Spanish businesses are global leaders such as the civil use of nuclear energy, transport, the railway sector and renewable energy.
- The meet acknowledged India’s increasing influence when it comes to the promotion of international stability and security.
- Spain expressed condolences and solidarity in the aftermath of a brutal suicide bombing at Pulwama that has killed at least 40 paramilitary troopers.
Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit medal
Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was presented with Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit medal to honour India’s support for Spanish victims of the earthquake that devastated Nepal in April 2015. The award recognises the extraordinary service by Spanish and foreign citizens for the benefit of Spain.