International Current Affairs - 2019
Latest International Current Affairs 2019 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The African Union (AU) suspended Sudan until establishment of a civilian-led transition to democracy and also demanded to resolve an entrenched and bloody crisis. The decision was taken at AU’s peace and Security Council meet in Addis Ababa, (Ethiopia’s capital).
- Background: Since December 2018 Sudan has been rocked with anger over increasing bread prices and shortages, which then turned into protests against Omar al-Bashir (7th President of Sudan) and culminated in military removing him after a three-decade rule where he became a pariah in eyes of Western world. The military leadership then took control of Sudan after ouster of Omar in April 2019, but it had failed to hand over power to civilians.
- Trigger: The call for action to be taken by African Union was mounted after recent military crackdown on protesters campaigning outside Army headquarters in Khartoum (Sudan’s Capital) killed dozens of individuals. As per a doctors’ group around 40 bodies were pulled from rive Nile, taking the total toll to at least 108.
- Thus African Union’s Peace and Security Council with immediate effect suspended participation of Sudan in all AU activities until effective establishment of a Civilian-led Transitional Authority, as only way to allow Republic of Sudan to exit from current crisis. This move by AU intensifies global pressure on Sudan’s new military leaders to stand down after witnessing worst violence since Bashir’s fall.
- AU also urged foreign powers to refrain from interference in Sudan’s affairs. The decision of AU in Sudan was by endorsed European Union (EU).
About African Union (AU)
- It was established in 2002. It is a continental union with headquarter in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Members: 55 countries located on African continent (expect territories possessed by European located in Africa).
- The highest decision-making organ of AU is Assembly of African Union, a semi-annual meeting of heads of state and government of its member states.
- AU’s secretariat, called African Union Commission is based in Addis Ababa.
- Official bodies within AU, includes AU Peace and Security Council and the Pan-African Parliament (a representative body).
- Some of AU’s Objective is- promoting unity and solidarity among African States; coordinating and intensifing cooperation for development; safeguarding sovereignty and territorial integrity of Member States and promoting international cooperation within framework of United Nations (UN).
Tags: Addis Ababa • African Union • Assembly of African Union • AU Peace and Security Council • AU's secretariat • Civilian-led Transitional Authority • Continental Union • European Union • Khartoum • Omar al-Bashir • Pan-African Parliament • Republic of Sudan
SriLankan Airlines, the National Carrier of island nation has been named the ‘World’s Most Punctual Airline’ for second consecutive time.
- SriLankan Airlines, the flag carrier of Sri Lanka, has been named ‘World’s Most Punctual Airline’ for second consecutive time in less than 12 months with over 90% of its flights in May being “on time”. In September 2018 it achieved a punctuality rating of 91.37%.
- It was named so by global flight tracker, ‘Flightstats’ which analysed data of over 41 carriers from Europe, North America, South America, Asia and Middle East including some of the world’s largest and most prestigious airlines, before drawing its conclusions on scale of punctuality.
- Achieving punctuality rating of 90.75% by SriLankan Airlines in May 2019 was impressive as it was achieved despite facing challenges caused by heightened security at airline’s hub at Bandaranaike International Airport (in Sri Lankan capital Colombo) after math of April 21 Easter Sunday terror attacks that killed over 250 people.
- It is a cutting-edge data services company that is focused on commercial aviation.
- It is leading provider of real-time global flight data which is used by companies and individuals across travel ecosystem.