International Current Affairs - 2019
Latest International Current Affairs 2019 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
SriLankan Airlines, the National Carrier of island nation has been named the ‘World’s Most Punctual Airline’ for second consecutive time.
- SriLankan Airlines, the flag carrier of Sri Lanka, has been named ‘World’s Most Punctual Airline’ for second consecutive time in less than 12 months with over 90% of its flights in May being “on time”. In September 2018 it achieved a punctuality rating of 91.37%.
- It was named so by global flight tracker, ‘Flightstats’ which analysed data of over 41 carriers from Europe, North America, South America, Asia and Middle East including some of the world’s largest and most prestigious airlines, before drawing its conclusions on scale of punctuality.
- Achieving punctuality rating of 90.75% by SriLankan Airlines in May 2019 was impressive as it was achieved despite facing challenges caused by heightened security at airline’s hub at Bandaranaike International Airport (in Sri Lankan capital Colombo) after math of April 21 Easter Sunday terror attacks that killed over 250 people.
- It is a cutting-edge data services company that is focused on commercial aviation.
- It is leading provider of real-time global flight data which is used by companies and individuals across travel ecosystem.
Russia’s annual Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF) is being held from 6-8 June 2019. It is an annual international forum that discusses key economic issues facing Russia, emerging markets and world at large stage. The Saint Petersburg is Russia’s former imperial capital.
Key Highlights of SPIEF
- Background: The first SPIEF was held in 1997. Now over past two decades, it has become one of leading global platforms for communication between business representatives and discussion of crucial global economic issues. Since 2006 it has been held under auspices and participation for Russian President Vladimir Putin. The SPIEF 2018 edition brought together around 17,000 participants from more than 140 countries. At the event Russia tries to boost its appeal to international businesses and investors.
- St. Petersburg International Economic Forum 2019: brought together high-profile politicians, leaders from participating countries, leaders of International organisation, representatives of major international companies and organisations as well as experts from various fields. In 2019 session delegations from nearly all European Union (EU) countries, including Hungary, Germany, Italy, Egypt, Austria, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Greece, Belgium among others and also senior officials from Cambodia, Vietnam, South Africa, Ivory Coast, Kenya, and Central African Republic (CAR) are taking part in various business sessions of forum. Chinese President Jinping will also attend SPIEF 2019 edition.
- Theme for SPIEF 2019: Creating a Sustainable Development Agenda
- Following Rusian annexation of Crimea in 2014 and role in pro-Russian uprising in Ukraine, the country has been hit by five years of international sanctions on its economy. It is also not immune to effects of U.S-China trade war which is putting brakes on global growth. The Western sanction over Russia is now followed by Russia’s pivot to the east with gradual dependence on China.
- The Chinese President Xi Jinping visit to SPIEF 2019 marks a new era of friendship between China and Russia and reinforcement of economic ties that had benefitted from Moscow’s isolation from West. This visit holds milestone significance in development of bilateral relations.
- Both countries show strong political mutual trust such as politically they seem consistently aligned and often vote in unison as permanent members of UN Security Council (UNSC). They also support each other firmly on issues concerning each other’s core interests and major concerns.
Tags: China-Russia • Crimean Annexation • Russian Sanction • SPIEF 2019 • St. Petersburg International Economic Forum 2019 • Ukraine • UN Security Council • UNSC • US-China • US-China trade dispute • US-Russia