International Current Affairs 2018
Latest International Current Affairs 2018 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2018. A PDF compilation of latest 300 updates can be downloaded from This Link
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The annual bilateral summit of India –Japan held on 28, 29 October 2018 in Japan. The Indian prime minister visited Japan to attend the summit. The partnership between the two countries has been transformed a lot and it has now become as a ‘special strategic and global partnership’.
- Japan investors will invest around $2.5 US dollars in India.
- The two sides agreed for a 2+2 dialogue between our foreign ministers and defence ministers to further work towards world peace.
- An India-Japan Business Platform will be established to enhance the development of industrial corridors and industrial network in the region
- Both countries will cooperate for the first time in the areas of traditional medicinal systems such as Yoga and Ayurveda. This will facilitate a boost in the healthcare in both the countries.
- Both the countries have agreed to synchronize upon sharing benefits of the Ayushman Bharat scheme and the Japanese healthcare programme.
- There will be commencement of talks on a military logistics pact, the Acquisition and Cross Servicing Agreement, between the two nations that will ensure the access to each other’s military bases and naval bases.
- Japan will invest more significantly in the up gradation of infrastructure in the Northeast which will also link India to Southeast Asia.
- The two countries will work together to extend access to education, health and other amenities to the people of the Indo-Pacific, including Africa.
- Japan-India Investment Promotion Roadmap enhanced the contribution of Japan in India’s Make in India initiative with establishment of Business Support Centre in Ahmedabad.
India–Japan recent ties
Cooperation in Sri Lanka, in the development of LNG-related infrastructure and in Africa, in the area of health service – developing a cancer hospital in Kenya
Cooperation in Myanmar, to facilitate development efforts in the Rakhine State Cooperation in Bangladesh, for improving connectivity on the Ramgarh to Baraiyarhat stretch and constructing the Jamuna Railway Bridge over the Januma River. The Act East Forum established last year has served as a driving force to improve India-Japan cooperation in the North-East. The cooperation in the project for the construction of International Cooperation and Convention center in Varanasi. India and Japan are cooperating to construct the Mumbai Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR).
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena has sacked Ranil Wickremesinghe, incumbent prime minister of Sri Lanka and appointed former President Mahinda Rajapaksha as new Prime Minister.
In recent times, the politics of Sri Lanka is in turmoil because of the tension between President Sirisena and PM Vikramasinghe. In a sudden move, the United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA), the Political Front of President Mittipala Sirisena, withdrew support from the coalition government with Ranil Vikramasinghe’s Party United National Party (UNP). This coalition government was formed in 2015, when Sirisena became President by the support of Ranil Vikramasinghe.
This sudden move also indicates a constitutional crisis lurking in Sri Lanka. According to the 19th Amendment to the Sri Lankan Constitution, Vikramasinghe could not be removed from the post without the majority.
About Mahinda Rajapaksa
Mahinda Rajapaksa was born on November 18, 1949 in the southern province of British Sri Lanka. He was the 18th Prime Minister of Sri Lanka from April 6, 2004 to November 19, 2005. After that, he was the 6th President of Sri Lanka from November 19, 2005 to January 9, 2015.