International Current Affairs - 2019
Latest International Current Affairs 2019 with news summaries and current events in International developments, geopolitical, organizations, groupings and fora related updates for India and world with all important national news updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
150 Indian peacekeepers serving with the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) were honoured with medals of honour by the United Nations for their dedicated service and sacrifice.
United Nations Mission in South Sudan
- UNMISS is working to deter violence against civilians by providing a safe and secure environment for South Sudanese people who have fled violence and sought sanctuary at Protection of Civilian sites across the country.
- UNMISS peacekeepers are also working to facilitate the safe delivery of humanitarian assistance, such as food, clean water, shelter and healthcare, to the millions of displaced people.
- UNMISS aims to provide a safe and supported environment so that these people can return to their former homes and communities to live safely and with dignity.
- UNMISS also protects, monitors, investigates, and reports on human rights violations and abuses with a strong focus on the most vulnerable, such as women and children and those who are subjected to sexual and gender-based violence.
UNMISS is committed to helping build durable peace in South Sudan. UNMISS is working as a partner at a national and sub-national level with political, religious, traditional and community leaders as well as at grassroots with communities and individuals across the country to advance reconciliation efforts, to strengthen conflict resolution mechanisms and build national cohesion as well as to engage in regional and international peace initiatives.
UN Peacekeeping Missions and India
India is one of the top troop-contributing nations to UN Peacekeeping Missions. Till date, more than 200,000 military and police have served under the various peacekeeping missions and 168 Indian military personnel have lost their lives under the UN flag.
Currently, India is the second largest contributor of peacekeepers to UNMISS with more than 2,400 military and police personnel currently deployed the mission.
Sri Lanka’s first satellite Raavana-1 was launched into space from NASA’s Flight Facility on Virginia’s east shore.
- Raavana 1 weights around 1.05 kg and is 1000 cubic centimetres in size.
- The minimum lifespan of the satellite is around one and a half years and it is expected to be active for five years.
- Raavana 1 satellite was designed and built at the Kyushu Institute of Technology in Japan by two Sri Lankan research engineers.
- Raavana 1 satellite’s camera mission is to capture images of Sri Lanka and its neighbouring countries.
- The Raavana-1 is expected to orbit 400 kilometres away from the earth.
- The satellite will achieve an active attitude stabilization which ensures that the satellite’s attitude is stable under the influence of external talks.
The launch of Raavana-1 marks Sri Lanka’s entry into the global space age.