Persons in News Current Affairs - 2020
Latest Persons in news Current Affairs 2019. National and International Personalities in news Current Affairs 2019, India and world Persons in news Current Affairs 2019 with all important national updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Tirunellai Narayana Iyer Seshan, the man behind several electoral reforms passed away due to a cardiac arrest. He was 87 years old and was not well for the past couple of years. He was the 10th Chief Election Commissioner (CEC). He served between 1990 and 1996
About TN Seshan
TN Seshan was a 1955 batch retired IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre. He was born in Palakkad district of Kerala. Before becoming a CEC, he served around 18 cabinet secretaries. He has also won the Ramon Magsaysay Award for his services in 1986. The award is considered as Asia’s Nobel Prize.
In 1997, he unsuccessfully contested the Presidential Elections against KR Narayanan.
Electoral Reforms by Seshan
- Mr Seshan is credited for introducing Election Commission’s constitutional powers that keep the politicians under check
- During his tenure the two additional Election Commissioners were appointed by the centre.
- It was during his period as the CEC the following were made offensive
- Bribing voters
- Distributing alcohol during elections
- Approaching voters to appeal on caste or community basis
- Using official machinery for campaigning
- Using worship places for campaigning
- Use of loud speakers and high-volume music
- The following laws were implemented during his period
- Implementation of strict Code of Conduct
- A limit was imposed on the election expenditure of the candidate
- Issuance of voter IDs
Tags: Chief Election Commissioner • code of conduct • Deputy Election Commissioner • Election Commission • electoral reforms
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) chaired by PM Narendra Modi has approved the appointment of Senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Aditya Mishra as the chairman of the Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI). He was appointed on the recommendations of a search-cum-selection panel.
Aditya Mishra is a 1989 batch IPS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre. He is presently posted as ADG, CBCID, Uttar Pradesh Police. He has been appointed as LPAI chairman for a period of five years from the date of assumption of the charge.
About Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI)
LPAI is a statutory body set up by Land Ports Authority of India Act, 2010 on 1 March 2012. It works under Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
It develops, sanitises, upgrades, maintains and manages facilities for cross-border movement of passengers as well as goods at designated points along India’s international borders. It also manages several Integrated Check Posts (ICPs) all across Borders of India.