Persons in News Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Persons in news Current Affairs 2019. National and International Personalities in news Current Affairs 2019, India and world Persons in news Current Affairs 2019 with all important national updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Retired judge of Indian Supreme Court Justice Madan B Lokur has been appointed to the Supreme Court of Fiji.
About The Appointment
- Justice Lokur is appointed as a judge of Supreme Court of Fiji’s non-resident panel. He will assume charge of his new role on 15 August 2019.
- Tenure: He has been appointed in new role for a period of three years.
- Background: On December 31 2018, Justice Lokur demitted the office as a Supreme Court justice after his superannuation. It is likely that Justice Lokur received the offer from Chief Justice of the Fiji Supreme Court on the day of his retirement itself.
- The Supreme Court of Fiji
- In one year it has three sessions in total. Justice Lokur will attend August session which starts from August 15 to August 30, 2019.
- Other countries that have been invited by Fiji over the years are South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore and New Zealand.
About Justice Madan Lokur
- In July 1977, he enrolled as an advocate and practised in High Court of Delhi and the Supreme Court.
- In 1981, he became an Advocate-on-Record in Supreme Court.
- In 1998 he was appointed as Additional Solicitor General and continued in that post till February 1999 when he was appointed an Additional Judge of Delhi High Court (HC).
- In July 1999, he was made a permanent judge. Later he served as Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court and then Andhra Pradesh High Court before being elevated to SC.
- He was appointed as judge of Supreme Court of India on 4 June 2012. He retired as Supreme Court judge on 31 December 2018, after a terme of more than 6 years.
Former Supreme Court judge, Justice A K Sikri is appointed as the chairperson of News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA) by the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) .
He will succeed current Chairperson Justice(Retd.) R.V. Raveendran (also a former Judge of Supreme Court) who completes his term on 25 May. He will assume office of Chairperson of NBSA from 26 May 2019.
About Justice Sikri
- In 1977 he enrolled as an Advocate and commenced his practise in Delhi.
- In 199 he was elevated as Judge to Delhi High Court (HC).
- In 2011 for a very short time, he was appointed as acting Chief Justice of the Delhi HC. Later in 2012 he was appointed as Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- In April 2013, he was elevated as judges to Supreme Court of India. He served as SC judge for about six years and retired in March 2019.
About News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA)
- It is an independent body (free from any interference from NBA) for self-regulation of 24×7 news channels, who are members of NBA. It is basically a self-regulatory mechanism which was set up by News Broadcasters Association (NBA).
- The aim behind setting NBSA was to improve broadcasting standards and adhere to Code of Ethics (to regulate television content) that were adopted by NBA in November 2007.
- NBSA act as an in-house regulator discharges function as a watchdog.
- It decides about complaints made against any member broadcasters who might have allegedly violated (or offended) Code of Ethics, Guidelines and Advisories that are issued from time to time.
- NBSA is empowered to censure, warn, express disapproval, admonish, and penalize the broadcaster with a fine of sum upto Rs. 1 lakh for violation of Code.
- The Broadcast Editors’ Association, is another such organization.
- The Advertising Standards Council of India has also drawn certain guidelines on content of advertisements.
- These groups do not have any statutory powers and are govern through agreements.
Tags: Chairperson of NBSA • Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court • Code of Ethics • Justice A K Sikri • Justice(Retd.) R.V. Raveendran • Media • NBA • NBSA • News Broadcasters Association • News Broadcasting Standards Authority • Supreme Court Judge