Persons in News Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Persons in news Current Affairs 2019. National and International Personalities in news Current Affairs 2019, India and world Persons in news Current Affairs 2019 with all important national updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader Naveen Patnaik takes oath as CM of Odisha for a record 5th consecutive term. BJD has been in power in Odisha since 2000.
- The 72 year old Naveen Patnaik is the longest-serving chief minister of coastal state. BJD has been in power in the state since 2000.
- He won a clear mandate of 112 out of the 147 seats in the recently conducted Odisha state election that were held along with national elections.
- Out of 20 Parliamentary seats Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) bagged 8 seats and BJD won 12.
- Oath Ceremony: His oath was administered oath by Odisha’s Governor Ganeshi Lal at a function in Bhubaneswar. Unlike past low-key oath taking ceremonies this is the first time that swearing in was held in full public view, outside the Raj Bhavan. 20 newly elected BJD MLAs also took oath as ministers, including 11 of Cabinet rank.
- The Decisive Mandate: The Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was once a part of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) between year 1998 and 2009. But later, maintained “equidistant” from BJP as well as the Congress. On Claiming that no party will get a majority in national election 2019 Mr Patnaik announced his support for any party or coalition that supports the Odisha’s development especially in aftermath of Cyclone Fani that left a trail of destruction in the state and killed 64 people.
The Nobel-winning physicist Murray Gell-Mann, died at the age of 89 in New Mexico. He is credited with bringing order to the universe by helping discover and classifying subatomic particles.
About Murray Gell-Mann
- Background: Murray was born and raised in New York City, US. He received his bachelor’s degree in physics from Yale University in 1948 and his PhD from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1951. He dominated theoretical particle physics during 1950s and 1960s,
- Nobel Prize Laureate: Gell-Man was honored with Nobel prize in physics in 1969 for his contributions and discoveries relating to the classification of elementary particles and their interactions.
- He is said to have transformed physics by devising a method for sorting subatomic particles into simple groups of eight (8) based on their spin, electric charge and other characteristics. He named this method “eightfold way” after Buddhist Eightfold Path to enlightenment.
- He also developed a theory which identified “quarks”, an indivisible components of Earth’s matter that make up neutrons, protons and other particles. Later Experiments in field of physics confirmed existence of quarks, which now form basis for our physical understanding of the universe.