Persons in News Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Persons in news Current Affairs 2019. National and International Personalities in news Current Affairs 2019, India and world Persons in news Current Affairs 2019 with all important national updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The renowned playwright, actor and Jnanpith awardee Girish Karnad died at the age of 81 at his residence in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He succumbed to multiple-organ failure.
To honour the well-known writer who brought 7th Jnanpith to Kannada, Karnataka Government declared a holiday for schools and colleges and a 3-day State mourning as a tribute.
About Girish Karnad
- He was born in May 1938. He became one of the most prominent theatre personalities in priod of 1960s and 1970s, which was regarded as Renaissance of Indian theatre.
- Playwright: He wrote his first play Yayati in 1961 when he was a Rhodes scholar (world’s oldest fellowship program) in England, UK. He worked with mythology, history and gave them a contemporary resonance in plays like Tughlaq and Hayavadana. He translated most of his plays himself. His last play was Rakshasa Tangadi, (a Kannada play on the Battle of Talikota) which was published in 2018.
- Director and Actor: he made his acting debut in the classic movie- Samskara. He made his name not only in parallel cinema but was also celebrated for his roles in mainstream films in multiple languages. He directed around 12 films and documentaries in Kannada and Hindi.
- Awards: He was recipient of Padma Shri (1974) for his contributions to theatre and Padma Bhushan (1992) in recognition of his contributions to arts. He was also conferred Jnanpith Award in 1998.
Tags: Girish Karnad • Jnanpith award • Karnataka Government • Padma Bhushan • Padma Shri
The Centre government has appointed senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer V.S. Kaumudi as Director General of Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) by lowering the post to the rank of Additional Director General.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet comprising of Prime Minister of India (who is the Chairman) and Minister of Home Affairs, approved the proposal made by Union Ministry of Home Affairs for appointing V.S. Kaumudi as Director General (ADG level) BPR&D by temporarily downgrading the DG post to level of Additional Director General (Level-15 of Pay Matrix)
- He will be succeeding IPS officer Sudeep Lakhtakia, a 1984 batch IPS officer.
- Term: His appointment as DG of BPR&D will be for a period of two years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
About IPS V.S. Kaumudi
- He is a 1986 batch IPS officer of Andhra Pradesh cadre.
- At present she is serving as Additional Director General (ADG) in Central Reserve.
About Bureau of Police Research and Development
- BPRD was established in 1970 under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
- It is a federal law enforcement agency with headquarters in New Delhi.
- It is a national police organisation to study, research and develop (R&D) on subjects and issues related to policing for the purpose of modernisation of police forces.
- In 2017, Union government merged Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPRD) with National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) for improving administrative efficiency and optimally utilising resources related to policing. This new merged entity is headed by Director General (DG) of BPRD, and NCRB Director, an Additional DG rank post will report to the former.