Persons in News Current Affairs - 2020
Latest Persons in news Current Affairs 2019. National and International Personalities in news Current Affairs 2019, India and world Persons in news Current Affairs 2019 with all important national updates and events for the year 2019.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India Rajiv Mehrishi has been elected as external auditor of World Health Organization (WHO) for a period of four years from year 2020 to 2023.
- CAG Rajiv Mehrishi was elected at 72nd World Health Assembly (WHA) held in Geneva, Switzerland on May 2019.
- He will take over the charge from the Supreme Audit Institution of Philippines which is the incumbent External Auditor of WHO.
- At 72nd WHA, CAG of India was elected with a majority of 90 votes out of 162 votes in first round of voting itself. Apart from India others competing for elected position includes Auditors General of United Kingdom (UK) of Great Britain, Congo, France, Northern Ireland, Ghana and Tunisia.
- Other Appointments: In March 2019 the CAG was chosen for the post of External Auditor of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Rome Italy thus the external auditor of WHO is the second major international audit assignment for CAG in same year.
- Currently, CAG Mehrishi is also on the Board of Auditors of United Nations (UN) and Vice-Chair of the UN Panel of External Auditors (UNPEA).
Tags: 72nd World Health Assembly • Board of Auditors of United Nations • CAG Mehrishi • Comptroller and Auditor General of India • External Auditor of Food and Agriculture Organization
United Nations Secretary-General (UNSG) Antonio Guterres recently appointed Indian-origin Anita Bhatia as Deputy Executive Director of United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women) for Resource Management, Sustainability and Partnerships.
- Earlier Lakshmi Puri, Veteran Indian diplomat and a gender equality champion had served as Assistant Secretary-General of the United Nations and Deputy Executive Director of UN Women.
- The key appointment comes less than a week after Antonio Guterres appointed Lieutenant General Shailesh Tinaikar an Indian Army officer as new Force Commander of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS ).
About Anita Bhatia
- She is a veteran in strategic partnerships, resource mobilisation and management.
- She has had a distinguished career at World Bank (WB) Group, has served in various senior leadership and management positions, both at the headquarters (Washington, D.C., United States) and in the field.
About UN Women
- The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN-Women) is the UN’s agency focused on women empowerment and gender equality.
- Background: It was established in July 2010 by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) and is headquartered in New York City, United States. It became operational in January 2011.
- Objective: UN Women is a global champion for women and girls which seeks to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
- Function: It works globally to make vision of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life.
Tags: Anita Bhatia • Antonio Guterres • Lakshmi Puri • SDG • Shailesh Tinaikar