Persons in News
Latest Persons in news Current Affairs 2019. National and International Personalities in news Current Affairs 2019, India and world Persons in news Current Affairs 2019 with all important national updates and events for the year 2019.
A 49-year-old veteran Nepali Sherpa named Kami Rita scaled Mount Everest for 23rd time, breaking his own world record. He reached atop the world’s highest peak which is 8,850-metres high.
About Kami Rita Sherpa
He belongs to Thame village of Solukhumbu district in Nepal and yet again successfully climbed Mount Everest from Nepal side breaking his own world record for most summits on the roof of the world.
- Rita started his Mount Everest climbing expedition since 1994. But, in 1995 after his client got sick on way to the summit, he couldn’t climb the Everest. Later in 1995, he abandoned the summit bid after one of the deadliest avalanche experienced which killed some expedition teams.
- In 2017, Kami became third person to climb Mount Everest for 21st time. With this he matched the achievement of Phurba Tashi Sherpa and Apa Sherpa, both of them, have retired since then.
- In 2018 he summited the Mt. Everest 22nd time in 2018 and set a record of most summits on Mount Everest.
- It is an ethnic groups native to most mountainous regions of the Himalayas and Nepal.
- The word Sherpa is derived from Shar (“east”) and Wa (“people”) which originally meant “people from the East”.
- Earlier word Sherpa (or Sherwa) simply denoted a group of people who migrated to Nepal from Eastern Tibet.
Tags: Apa Sherpa • Eastern Tibet • Himalayas • Kami Rita Sherpa • Mount Everest
The Retired judge of Indian Supreme Court Justice Madan B Lokur has been appointed to the Supreme Court of Fiji.
About The Appointment
- Justice Lokur is appointed as a judge of Supreme Court of Fiji’s non-resident panel. He will assume charge of his new role on 15 August 2019.
- Tenure: He has been appointed in new role for a period of three years.
- Background: On December 31 2018, Justice Lokur demitted the office as a Supreme Court justice after his superannuation. It is likely that Justice Lokur received the offer from Chief Justice of the Fiji Supreme Court on the day of his retirement itself.
- The Supreme Court of Fiji
- In one year it has three sessions in total. Justice Lokur will attend August session which starts from August 15 to August 30, 2019.
- Other countries that have been invited by Fiji over the years are South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore and New Zealand.
About Justice Madan Lokur
- In July 1977, he enrolled as an advocate and practised in High Court of Delhi and the Supreme Court.
- In 1981, he became an Advocate-on-Record in Supreme Court.
- In 1998 he was appointed as Additional Solicitor General and continued in that post till February 1999 when he was appointed an Additional Judge of Delhi High Court (HC).
- In July 1999, he was made a permanent judge. Later he served as Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court and then Andhra Pradesh High Court before being elevated to SC.
- He was appointed as judge of Supreme Court of India on 4 June 2012. He retired as Supreme Court judge on 31 December 2018, after a terme of more than 6 years.