Reports & Indices Current Affairs - 2019
This category comprises Current Affairs 2019-2020 related to various reports and indexes / indices by National and International Bodies and organizations such as World, Bank, World Economic Forum, NITI Aayog and various other educational and research organizations. We also place report highlights of various committees and commissions in this category.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India ranked 68th in the annual Global Competitiveness Index. It is the worst performing among the BRICS nations along with Brazil that is ranked at 71. The Global Competitive Index is compiled by World Economic Forum. The Forum has mapped 141 countries using 103 indicators.
India had dropped 10 places. A number of similar economies like South Africa, Turkey and Colombia have improved over the past year and have overtaken India.
This year Singapore has replaced US as the world’s most competitive country. The US was positioned at 2nd place and was followed by Hong Kong at third place and Netherlands and Switzerland at 4th and 5th places respectively. China was ranked at 28th position and was the highest ranked among BRICS nations. Vietnam showed higher improvements in the region and was ranked at 67
The report also said that Asia Pacific was the most competitive region globally. It was followed by Europe and North America.
Key findings of the report on India
- India ranked high in terms of macroeconomic stability and market size.
- India also ranked high in terms of corporate Governance. India was at 15th place in the category.
- In terms of market India ranked third.
- India had positive remarks in terms of renewable regulation.
- In terms of innovation, India has punched above its development status. It was well ahead of most of the emerging economies that are on par with the advanced economies.
- Poor health conditions and low Life Expectancy were the shortcomings in the country according to the report. In terms of life expectancy India ranked 109 out of 141 countries. This is one of the shortest as compared to South Asian average.
- According to the report, India also needs to grow its skill base, market efficiency. Trade openness and worker protection rights according to the report are insufficiently developed.
- The ratio of female workers to male workers in India was 0.26. It ranked 128th place and was very low as compared certain other developing countries.
- India ranked 118 in incentivization and 107th place for skills
The US Economy
- Though US performance as compared to 2018 slowed own, it scored in sub categories like employee skills, venture capital availability and business dynamism pillar
- The decline of life expectancy in the US was huge. It was lower than China. Singapore ranked first in terms of life expectancy.
- The education system of the world’s largest and most innovative economies failed to keep up the pace of innovation. IT included India, China, Brazil, France and South Korea.
- Economic stagnation was widespread. This has happened in spite of the central banks injecting more than 10 trillion dollars last year
- Many of governments and central banks failed to use correct monetary policies to stimulate economic growth
Tags: BRICS • China • economic development • Economic slow down • Global Competitive Index
The Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat is a cleanliness survey that is carried out by QCI – Quality Council of India. The council tool 720 Non – Suburban stations and Suburban Stations for the survey.
Findings of the survey
- Jaipur was ranked first with a cleanliness score of 931.75 out of 1000
- Jodhpur was ranked second with a score of 927.19
- The other top cleanest cities include Durgapura, Jammu Tawi, Gandhinagar, Suratgarh, Vijayawada, Udaipur, Ajmer and Haridwar.
- Southern Railways dropped five places. IT slipped to 7th position from 12th postion in 2018.
- The North Western Railway zone was awarded the cleanest railway zone of 2019
During the survey the inspectors inspected the station premises for presence of different forms of waste such as stain, stagnant water, litter and excreta. They also observed the frequency of cleaning activities in the customer interface areas. The condition of uniform, equipment, protection gear of the cleaning staff were also considered in ranking the stations.