Science & Tech Current Affairs
Science & Technology Current Affairs 2019-2020 category comprises current affairs with all important national / international updates in science and tech and events for the year 2019-2020 for UPSC, States, Civil services, SSC and other competitive examinations of India and States.
Delhi-based Desein Private Ltd, a power consultancy firm, has submitted proposals for offered its services to the Pakistan government for the production of cheap electricity. Pakistan is currently going through a massive energy crisis. The Indian company has proposed the setting up of power plants that will use local coal or lignite.
Desein, which provides services in India and the U.A.E., has proposed to conceptualize the power plant, including site selection, project development, engineering, construction and commissioning.
What is Lignite?
- Lignite is a low grade variety of coal which has low carbon content and thus it has low heating capacity.
Coal is found mainly in four varieties:
- Anthracite: Highest rank of coal, is a harder, glossy black coal used primarily for residential and commercial space heating.
- Bituminous: It is also of good quality, used primarily as fuel in steam-electric power generation, with substantial quantities used for heat and power applications in manufacturing and to make coke.
- Peat: It has industrial importance as a fuel in some regions, for example, Ireland and Finland. In its dehydrated form, peat is a highly effective absorbent for fuel and oil spills on land and water. It is also used as a conditioner for soil to make it more able to retain and slowly release water.
- Lignite: Lowest grade of coal and used almost exclusively as fuel for electric power generation.
Tags: Current Affairs 2013 • India-International Relations • India-Pakistan • Pakistan
Bio-food is gaining the interest of people desiring for food produced with least synthetic inputs and for experiencing something new. Many people with health and environments concerns are switching to organic foods and are buying into the principles of chemical-free cultivation. They are making their dietary vote known to friends and family by throwing organic parties and ‘health’ luncheons and even supplementing wedding and anniversary reception menus with organic dishes.
What is Bio-food?
Bio-foods or Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods of organic farming – that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemi
Organic food production is a heavily regulated industry, distinct from private gardening. Currently, the European Union, the United States, Canada, Japan and many other countries require producers to obtain special certification in order to market food as organic within their borders. In the context of these regulations, organic food is food produced in a way that complies with organic standards set by national governments and international organizations.
There is no sufficient scientific evidence to substantiate that organic food is safer or healthier than conventional food or it tastes better than conventional food.