Science & Technology Current Affairs - 2019
Science & Technology Current Affairs 2019-2020 category comprises current affairs with all important national / international updates in science and tech and events for the year 2019-2020 for UPSC, States, Civil services, SSC and other competitive examinations of India and States.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Drip irrigation project is planned to irrigate nearly 26,000 hectares of land in the command area of the Krishna in Bagalkot district. The project would cost Rs. 800 crore.
What is Drip Irrigation?
Drip irrigation or trickle irrigation or micro irrigation or localized irrigation, is an irrigation method deployed to save water and fertilizer by allowing water to drip slowly to the roots of plants, either onto the soil surface or directly onto the root zone, by using a network of valves, pipes, tubing, and emitters. It is done through narrow tubes that deliver water directly to the base of the plant.
Advantages of Drip Irrigation:
- Fertilizer and nutrient loss is minimized due to localized application and reduced leaching.
- Water application efficiency is high.
- Field levelling is not necessary.
- Fields with irregular shapes are easily accommodated.
- Recycled non-potable water can be safely used.
- Moisture within the root zone can be maintained at field capacity.
- Soil type plays less important role in frequency of irrigation.
- Soil erosion is minimized.
- Weed growth is minimized.
- Water distribution is highly uniform, controlled by output of each nozzle.
- Labour cost is less than other irrigation methods.
- Variation in supply can be regulated by regulating the valves and drippers.
- Foliage remains dry, reducing the risk of disease.
- Usually operated at lower pressure than other types of pressurised irrigation, reducing energy costs.
Scientists have developed a new drug ‘Aflibercept’ for stopping the cancerous cells from multiplying. The new drug makes cancerous cells to sleep thus inhibiting them from multiplying. The drug functions by exchanging the molecular switches in cancer structure so that there is no multiplication of the cancerous cells. The drug has shown effectiveness in extending the lives of cancer patients.
Month: Categories: Science & Technology