Science & Technology Current Affairs - 2019
Science & Technology Current Affairs 2019-2020 category comprises current affairs with all important national / international updates in science and tech and events for the year 2019-2020 for UPSC, States, Civil services, SSC and other competitive examinations of India and States.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Astronomers spotted the furthest galaxy ever, a little cluster named ‘MACS0647-JD’ b/w the Big and Little Dippers.
- Probably the most distant, and thus oldest, galaxy ever seen.
- Distance from Earth: 13.3 billion light years that created the Universe 13.7 billion years ago.
- Formation: 420 million years after the Big Bang
What is Gravitational Lensing ?
Savita Halappanavar’s death has led to a widespread protests in Ireland and a call to re-look at the abortion laws.
- She was 31 year old dentist originally from Belgaum, India who moved to Ireland in 2008.
- She died on October 28, 2012 in Galway, Ireland.
- Her death led to widespread protests, in Ireland, India, England and other countries and a call to re-look at the abortion laws.
- She suffered miscarriage when she was 17 weeks pregnant.
Her husband claimed that the University College Hospital Galway where she was admitted denied her an abortion because a fetal heartbeat was present, despite the fetus being declared nonviable. This led to septicemia (blood poisoning), multiple organ failure and her death. The fetal remains were eventually removed but too much time had passed.
Why she was denied abortion at the right time when she needed it?
- Under Irish law on abortion, and Offences against the Person Act 1861 abortion is illegal in Ireland.