Science & Technology Current Affairs - 2019
Science & Technology Current Affairs 2019-2020 category comprises current affairs with all important national / international updates in science and tech and events for the year 2019-2020 for UPSC, States, Civil services, SSC and other competitive examinations of India and States.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Kirobo, the world’s first robot astronaut talks about Christmas in its first chat with the Japanese commander of the International Space Station.
About the world’s first robot astronaut Kirobo
Kirobo is Japan’s first humanoid robot astronaut, developed by Tomotaka Takahashi, to accompany Koichi Wakata, the first Japanese commander of the International Space Station.
Objective: To see how well robots and humans can interact.
A pint-sized android equipped with artificial intelligence and capable of learning how to respond appropriately to humans.
Created jointly by advertising firm Dentsu, the University of Tokyo, robot developer Robo Garage and Toyota.
The robot’s capabilities include voice and speech recognition, natural language processing, speech synthesis and telecommunications, as well as facial recognition and video recording. Kirobo is specially designed to navigate zero-gravity environments and will assist Commander Wakata in various experiments.
Tejas, India’s first indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), which is all set to replace the MiG-21 series, developed by the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as its principal partner.
Tejas is the smallest, light weight, single engine, single seat, supersonic, multirole, combat aircraft, and best in its class in the world. It has many features of stealth fighter aircraft. It will be used by both the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Navy.
This fourth generation combat aircraft has Carbon Composites, light weight/high strength material for primary structures, quadruplex Digital Flight Control System; glass Cockpit and digital Avionics to give multirole capabilities with carefree maneuvering. These capabilities are further raised by several on-board Sensors, Communication and Navigation Systems that are supported by powerful Mission Computers and Cockpit Display System.
This is for the first time an indigenously designed and developed military fighter aircraft has certified for Indian Air Force
Features of stealth fighter aircraft
- The aircraft has a totally digital fly-by-wire control system; the wings are made entirely of composite structures.
- Built by unstable configuration’ technique. It has open architecture software for avionics. DRDO can update it as and when required.
- It integrates a ‘glass cockpit’ in which information is displayed ‘real-time’ to the pilot.
What is the future planning of Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO)?
- Plans to test fire the indigenous Astra missile and guns from the Tejas.
- Working on MARK-II type Tejas aircraft, which has a better thrust and improved radar system than Mark-I type Tejas LCA (i.e. inducting in the Indian Air Force)
- Working on the Combat variant, Trainer variant and Naval variants of Tejas.
- DRDO developed a special facility in Goa, to notice the conditions for a Tejas for Navy landing, take-off and maneuver from an aircraft carrier.
- Note: Stealth aircraft are designed to avoid detection using a variety of advanced technologies that reduce reflection/emission of radar, infrared, visible light, Radio-Frequency (RF) spectrum, and audio, collectively known as stealth technology.