Sports Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Sports Current Affairs 2019 for National and International sports and tournaments, awards, trophies and cups related to cricket, football, tennis and other sports for UPSC, SSC, States, Civil services and other competitive examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has launched two new formats of badminton game namely, AirBadminton and Triples. In contrast to traditional competitive badminton which is an indoor game the Airbadminton is an outdoor game.
- Badminton World Federation is badminton’s highest governing body.
- For long outdoor badminton has been one of India’s favourite recreational sports. Much like India, globally the amateur participation in outdoor games is 40% more than those undergoing structured training on expensive indoor wooden courts.
- Significance: Both have a potential of providing an alternate career to retired badminton professionals.
- Importance: For people interested in AirBadminton infrastructure won’t be a hindrance as it can be played in different environments like on sands in beaches, grass in parks and even on streets and by lanes.
- It was globally launched at Guangzhou in China by Badminton World Federation (BWF). It has new dimensions of court and an innovative outdoor shuttlecock called AirShuttle.
- AirBadminton is designed to be played on hard, grass and sand surfaces such as that in playgrounds, gardens, parks, streets, and beaches. The aim is that AirShuttle could be used in winds up to 12 kmph.
- The outdoor format will be played barefoot on an approved surface like sand and on courts of smaller dimensions.
- In Triples format, badminton match will be played between a team of total three players. Each team will mandatory have at least one female athlete. Also, players are not allowed to hit returns successively.
After South Korea’s withdrawal from their bid to stage Asian Cup Football tournament bid China will now be hosting 2023 AFC Asian Cup. China was the sole other bidder and now has a free run to become hosts.
- Background: In 2017, The KFA announced Seoul’s bid to host the 24-nation AFC 2023 edition. It would have been after a gap of 63 years that South korea would have hosted the most prestigious football tournament in Asia. It hosted AFC for the first time in 1960.
- About: South korea’s withdrawal from Asian Cup means that on 4 June 2019 China should be confirmed by Asian Football Confederation as new host of the Asian nations championship finals. Previously, Indonesia and Thailand had expressed interest in hosting AFC 2023 event, but then dropped their bids.
- Earlier: This is the second time China will be hosting the event. It was in 2004 when China staged the tournament lost with 3-1 to Japan in Beijing final.
- Reason: As per the Korea Football Association (KFA) it pulled out of hosting tournament so as to ‘strategically focus’ on a joint bid with North Korea to host Women’s World Cup which will also be held in 2023.
About Women’s World Cup 2023
- Background: The KFA announced the joint bid with North Korea in March 2019.
- For the Women’s World Cup 2023 the South Korean government and Fifa (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) will provide active support so that joint hosting by South and North Koreas can be materialized.
- But after recent North Korea-US nuclear talks deadlocked, the diplomatic contacts between Pyongyang (North Korea Capital) and Seoul (South Korea Capital) have been dwindling.
- The AFC 2019 tournament was 17th edition of AFC Cup was held from 5 January to 1 February 2019.
- It was hosted by United Arab Emirates (UAE). The number of participant team was expanded to 24 nations for the first time from the earlier 16-team format. Qatar won the final with 3-1 against Japan.
Tags: 2019 AFC Cup • AFC • AFC 2019 Tournament • Asian Cup Football 2023 • FIFA • KFA • Korea Football Association • North Korea • North Korea-US Nuclear Talks • United Arab Emirates • Women’s World Cup 2023