Sports Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Sports Current Affairs 2019 for National and International sports and tournaments, awards, trophies and cups related to cricket, football, tennis and other sports for UPSC, SSC, States, Civil services and other competitive examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s G.S. Lakshmi ha becomes first woman to be appointed to International Cricket Council’s (ICC) International Panel of Match Referee. She will be eligible to take charge in international games with immediate effect.
- Women Officials on ICC Development Panel of Umpires: now includes eight women, namely Eloise Sheridan, Claire Polosak, Shivani Mishra, Lauren Agenbag, Mary Waldron, Kim Cotton, Jacqueline Williams and Sue Redfern.
- Earlier in May 2019, Claire Polosak became first ever woman umpire to stand in a men’s ODI.
- Kathy Cross was the first woman on development panel of umpires retired in 2018.
About G.S. Lakshmi
Lakshmi, (now aged 51) was first appointed as a match referee in domestic women’s cricket in 2008-09. As a referee she has overseen three women’s ODI matches and three women’s T20I matches.
- It is the global governing body of cricket and was earlier named as ‘Imperial Cricket Conference’.
- It was founded in 1909 by representatives from South Africa, Australia and England
- It is headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Tags: 1st Female ICC Match Referee • Claire Polosak • Dubai • G.S. Lakshmi • ICC • International Cricket Council (ICC) • International Panel of Match Referee • Jacqueline Williams • Kathy Cross • Kim Cotton • Lauren Agenbag • Mary Waldron • ODI matches • Shivani Mishra • United Arab Emirates • Women Officials on ICC Development Panel of Umpires
Kiki Bertens of Netherlands beats Simona Halep of Romania in finals to win women’s singles title in Madrid Open tennis.
- Kiki Bertens won with surprise 6-4, 6-4 victory over Simona Halep. With this triumph she became first woman ever to win Madrid singles title championship without dropping a set.
- Kiki climbed to fourth in world rankings which is her career’s best till now. With this she became the highest-ranked Dutchwoman ever by climbing to World No 4.
- A victory would have allowed the third-ranked Simona to regain her world’s number one ranking (displacing Naomi Osaka).
NOTE: Madrid Open Tennis also known as the Mutua Madrid Open (as currently sponsored by Mutua Madrileña) is a joint men’s and women’s professional tennis tournament, held in Madrid (Spain’s Capital).