Sports Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Sports Current Affairs 2019 for National and International sports and tournaments, awards, trophies and cups related to cricket, football, tennis and other sports for UPSC, SSC, States, Civil services and other competitive examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Joshna Chinappa won the National Squash Women’s Singles title after she defeated Urwashi Joshi in the final match of the competition by 9-11, 11-1, 11-6, 11-5. It was her 16th National title and with this win, she has equalled the record of Bhuvaneshwari Kumari of winning 16 titles.
About Joshna Chinappa
- Joshna Chinappa is the first Indian squash player to win the British Squash Championship in 2003. She won this title in the under 19 category
- She is also the youngest Indian women’s national Squash champion.
- Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal Karthik won the squash women’s doubles gold medal in 2014 at the Commonwealth Games. It was India’s first ever medal in squash at the Commonwealth Games.
Mahesh Mangaonkar defeated Vikram Malhotra in the final match by 11-4, 13-15, 11-2, 5-11, 15-13to win Men’s Singles title. It was the 75th edition of the championship. This is the maiden title for Mahesh Mangaonkar. The entire tournament was held in Noida.
Squash in India
Squash is a ball sport played by two or four players in a four-walled court with hollow rubber ball. In India, the game is not very popular but picking up gradually. The Squash Rackets Federation of India is India’s squash governing body. Currently, most popular squash players in India are Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal. Dipika was the first Indian woman to break into the top 10 in the Women’s Squash Association rankings.
PV Sindhu, the 2016 Rio Olympic silver medallist, created history on 16th December 2018 as she became the first Indian to win the BWF World Tour Finals. She defeated Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara, the 2017 world champion, by 21-19 21-17 in the final match that lasted for an hour and two minutes. Earlier, Sindhu defeated Ratchanok by 21-16, 25-23 in the semi-finals to enter the finals of the season-ending BWF World Tour tournament.
About 2018 BWF World Tour:
- The BWF World Tour Finals is an annual badminton competition that takes place at the end of every year. The badminton players having most points from all the events of the BWF World Tour in that calendar year compete with each other in this tournament.
- It was held from 12th to 16th December 2018 in Tianhe, Guangzhou, China. The total prize of the tournament was $1,500,000.
- Shi Yuqi of China won the Men’s Singles title defeating Kento Momota of Japan by 21-12, 21-11.
- Li Junhui & Liu Yuchen (China) beat Hiroyuki Endo & Yuta Watanabe by 21-15, 21-11 to win the Men’s Doubles title final match.
- In the Women’s Doubles final match, Misaki Matsutomo & Ayaka Takahashi (Japan) defeated Lee So-hee & Shin Seung-chan (South Korea) by 21-12, 22-20.
- Wang Yilü & Huang Dongping (China) defeated Zheng Siwei & Huang Yaqiong (China)by 23-21, 16-21, 21-18 to win Mixed Doubles final match.
This win was Sindhu’s 14th title in her career but it was the first title for her in 2018. P V Sindhu won the silver medal at the World Championships 2018, Thailand Open 2018, Asian Games 2018, Commonwealth Games 2018 and India Open held this year.