States Current Affairs - 2019
Current Affairs 2019-2020 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states and may be useful for State PCS / Civil services examinations of various states of India.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Project Kannamma is the initiative of the Rotary Club of Madras North to provide sanitary napkins to the students.
- It was started in August of 2018 by providing free, biodegradable sanitary napkins to 82 students at the Government High School in Uthandi of Tamil Nadu.
- Today under the Project Kannamma, sanitary napkins are provided to over 300 students from across Government Schools in and around Chennai.
- The sanitary napkins are provided by the Irula Tribal Women’s Welfare Society (ITWWS).
- Women from the ITWWS make 1000 pads per day, using Arunachalam Muruganantham machines.
- The sanitary napkin, under the brand Aavaram, is prepared with natural raw materials such as cotton and wood pulp, and a pack of six costs just Rs 22.
- The teachers are given the requisite number of packs per month and they distribute the pads to the students.
The project is also supporting the livelihood of the Irula Tribal Women. If the group sells 15,000 pads per month, it can sustain the families of 12 tribal women.
Nearly after four decades, Bamboo rice has shown up in Odisha. The state of Odisha had last witnessed Bamboo rice in 1979.
Harvesting Bamboo Rice
The Forest Authorities of Chandaka-Dampara Wildlife Sanctuary in Cuttack district have opened up the gates for the forest dwellers to collect the Bamboo rice. Whenever the bamboo rice shows up, it would be accompanied by the increase in the rat population which starts running over the bamboo rice. Hence to avoid the menace the forest authorities have allowed forest dwellers to harvest Bamboo rice.
Further, the authorities are also planning to purchase bamboo rice from the forest dwellers to germinate bamboo trees in other areas of the state.
Bamboo rice grows out of a dying bamboo shoot. Bamboo rice looks like paddy rice and tastes more like wheat. Bamboo rice is not commonly available as it takes many years for a bamboo tree to flower.
Bamboo rice is believed to contain a low glycaemic index compared to other varieties and it is good for diabetics. It’s rich in proteins and does not contain any fat. Bamboo rice is also believed to be containing medicinal values.