States Current Affairs – 2018
Current Affairs 2017, 2016 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Andhra Pradesh government has signed a pact with the International Crop Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) to boost sustainable farming in the state.
In this regard, Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) was signed by state government with ICRISAT.
Key highlights of agreement
- It seeks to provide assistance in making agriculture sustainable and profitable in state by increasing productivity of agriculture and allied sectors.
- Strategy paper: ICRISAT will prepare a strategy paper for primary sector mission, hold research and development (R&D) and establish sites of learning in districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- Use of Technology: Best technological tools and scientific practices from across the world will be incorporated into primary sector activities of state.
- International expertise: ICRISAT will bring in international expertise from CGIAR centres. It will include consortium of international organisations like International Livestock Research Centre (ILRI), International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), International Water Management (IWMI), Asia Vegetable Research and Development Centre (AVRDC), International Centre for Improvement of Maize and Development Centre (AVRDC), World Fish Centre and International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- This consortium will also bring in regional and national research institutions for the benefit of farmers.
- Pilot sites: It will be established in 13 districts (10,000 hectares each) of state to educate farmers for increasing productivity, profitability and sustainability through science-led development and climate-smart agriculture
- Quality assurance system for soil analytical laboratories: It will be developed to undertake capacity building for staff and upgrade existing soil labs for nutrient profile analysis.
- Public–private partnership (PPP): ICRISAT will assist state government in developing PPP mode guidelines, mobilise private entrepreneurs and organise a Global Investors Meet.
Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani has laid the foundation stone for Indian Institute of Management (IIM)-Visakhapatnam at Gambheeram village of Visakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh.
- It is the first institution among the 11 Central premier institutions to be established in the state as per the provisions of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
- IIM- Visakhapatnam will start its functioning from 2015-16 from the campus of Andhra University till the construction of campus is completed.
- It should be noted that IIM- Visakhapatnam will be fourteenth IIM of the country.
Union Government is also planning to introduce a bill on Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) in Parliament, in order to empower these public, autonomous institutes to award MBA degrees instead of postgraduate diploma certificates.