States Current Affairs - 2019
Current Affairs 2019-2020 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states and may be useful for State PCS / Civil services examinations of various states of India.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A new species of cyprinid freshwater fish named Puntius Dolichopterus has been discovered in Kerala’s Kayamkulam city.
It was discovered by Mathews Plamoottil, head of the department of zoology in Baby John Memorial Government College of Kollam district.
Facts about Puntius Dolichopterus
- Named after two Greek words ‘dolikhos’ meaning elongated and ‘pteron’ meaning wing or fin. The fish has been included in the fish family Cyprinidae.
- Characteristics: It has elongated pectoral fin and shorter dorsal fin. It also has unusually elongated dorsal spine which is rigid, strong and long and has longer head.
- It has lesser number of lateral line scales and pre-dorsal scales. Its body is silvery, pectoral and anal fin greenish yellow and dorsal fin is light orange red.
- Its ventral fin yellow while the caudal fin dusky and an inconspicuous dusky spot present on scales.
- Habitat: found in small and shallow water channels. It is edible and can be utilised as ornamental fish.
Kerala Tourism has won 2015 Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) award in the ‘Heritage & Culture’ category for its Muziris Heritage Project.
The award bestowed in recognition project efforts which aim at restoring and conservation of historical and cultural significance of the ancient town and its uniqueness and impact on local community located in stretches from Ernakulam to Kodungalloor in Thrissur district of Kerala.
- Muziris was an ancient seaport and urban centre which dates from at least the 1st century BC and located at the mouth of the Periyar River in present south Indian state of Kerala.
- It was a key centre for trade in ancient times between southern India on one side and Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greeks and Roman Empire on the other side.
- Its historic importance has been mentioned in the bardic Sangam literature and a number of classical European historical sources.
Muziris Heritage Project: It is an ambitious tourism venture of Tourism Department of Kerala in order to reinstate the historical and cultural significance Muziris. It was started in 2006 and also covers various other historically significant sites and monuments in central Kerala.
About Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) award
The awards are given by Pacific Asia Travel Association and sponsored by Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO). Presented every year in recognition of the achievements of 25 separate organisations and individuals.
It should be noted that PATA is a membership association working to promote the responsible development of travel and tourism in the Asia Pacific region.