States Current Affairs – 2018
Current Affairs 2017, 2016 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Idukki district of Kerala has become first district in India to have high speed Rural Broadband Network i.e. National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) Internet connectivity.
Union Minister of Information Technology and Communications Ravi Shankar Prasad commissioned this Hi-speed rural broadband network under the governments flagship Digital India programme.
In Idukki, 8 block offices and 52 village panchayats out of 53 will benefit from this project.
Facts about National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN)
- NOFN is the largest rural connectivity project of its kind in the world.
- It aims to transform the country into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy.
- It seeks to link each of the 2.5 lakh village panchayats in the country spread over 6600 blocks and 631 districts through broadband optical fibre network in order to provide a minimum bandwidth of 100 Mbps.
- On its completion, NOFN is expected to facilitate Broadband connectivity to over 600 million rural citizens of the country.
- NOFN, is being funded by the Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF), Department of Telecom, Ministry of Communications & IT.
- It will offer people with friendly services like e-governance, e-health, e-education, e-banking, public internet access etc. It will also enable delivery of various government services such as local planning, management, monitoring and payments of Government schemes at panchayat level.
Thus it will help to provide non-discriminatory telecom infrastructure, in order to bridge the gap of digital divide in rural internet access.
United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon inaugurated Gujarat’s second canal-top 10-MW solar power project.
It is located on 5.5 km stretch of Vadodara branch of Sardar Sarovar project canal. It is implemented by Hyderabad-based Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Limited (MEIL)
Key facts of Gujarat’s Canal-top solar power project
- It is considered as first-of-its-kind project in the world to generate power.
- This project is brain child of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Earlier in April 2012, one-MW pilot project was commissioned on the Sanand canal when he was Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- The project comprises around 33,000 to 36,000 solar panels and financed by the State government.
- Platform for these panels has been designed in such a manner it can sustain a wind velocity of 150 km/hr.
- Power generated from it is fed into the State grid and also to operate pumping stations on the canal.
- Advantages: It saves land and also prevents evaporation losses from the canal. It generates clean source of energy without any kind of pollution.