States Current Affairs - 2019
Current Affairs 2019-2020 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states and may be useful for State PCS / Civil services examinations of various states of India.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Aziz Qureshi has sworn-in as the Governor of Mizoram. Justice Michael Zothankhuma, Judge of the Gauhati High Court, administered the oath of office to Qureshi.
The swearing-in ceremony was held at the Durbar Hall of the Raj Bhavan in Aizawl. It was attended by the s Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and some of his cabinet colleagues.
Earlier Aziz Qureshi was governor of Uttarakhand. But in December 2014, he was transferred from Uttarakhand and was appointed as the Mizoram Governor.
Constitutional provisions of Governor
- Article 153: It says that there shall be Governor for each state. But 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 facilitated the appointment of the same person as a governor for two or more states.
- Article 156: Governor is appointed by President and hold office during the pleasure of President. It should be also noted that this article also mentions tenure of Governor. In this regard it says that Governor shall hold office for the term of 5 years from date he enters office.
Governor’s rule has been imposed in the state of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
It was imposed after President Pranab Mukherjee approved the recommendation of J&K Governor N. N. Vohra as there is deadlock in the State over formation of a new government after state assembly election.
Earlier, Governor had submitted a report to the President, after caretaker Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had resigned.
Jammu Kashmir State assembly election held in December 2014 had given hung verdict as no party has majority to form government in State.
In this election, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has emerged as the single largest party with 28 seats in the 87 members House. While Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) has emerged second largest party winning 25 seats. But both parties failed to get the magic figure of 44 to form a government.
Other parties like National Conference (NC) have 15 MLAs while Indian National Congress (INC) has 12 MLA’s.
What is Governor Rule in Jammu & Kashmir?
- In case of failure of constitutional machinery in any other state of India, the President’s Rule is imposed under Article 356 of the Constitution.
- But in case of J&K, as per Section 92 of state Constitution, the Governor’s Rule can be imposed in the state for a period of six months only after the consent of the President of India in case of failure of constitutional machinery. During the Governors rule, State Assembly is either suspended or dissolved.
- If the Constitutional machinery is not restored before the expiry of this six month period, the provision of Article 356 of the Constitution of India are extended to J&K and the President’s rule is imposed in the State.
- It should be noted that, Governors rule has been imposed in the state for the 6 time since 1977.
Tags: Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) • Current Affairs 2016 • Indian National Congress (INC) • Jammu and Kashmir • National Conference (NC) • Omar Abdullah • Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) • Pranab Mukherjee