States Current Affairs - 2019
Current Affairs 2019-2020 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states and may be useful for State PCS / Civil services examinations of various states of India.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Nek Chand Saini, creator of Chandigarh’s iconic Rock Garden passed away on 11 June 2015 in Chandigarh. He was 90.
He was born in Berian Kalan village in Shakargarh region (now in Pakistan). He was as a self-taught Indian artist. He had emigrated to India with his family during the partition in 1947 and had settled in Chandigarh in 1950.
In 1951, Nek Chand had started working as a road inspector of the Chandigarh’s Public Works Department (PWD). During this time Chandigarh was redesigned as a modern utopia by the Swiss/French architect Le Corbusier and became first planned city in India.
Awards: Nek Chand was awarded the Padma Shri in 1984.
About Rock Garden
Initally, Nek Chand Saini had built Chandigarh’s iconic Rock Garden secretly from waste and other unused household materials in a forest near Sukhna Lake which is spread over an area of 40-acres.
His secret environmental marvel was later discovered in 1972 by the municipal authorities. Later he was provided with a team of labourers and financial support to enable him to continue his work.
The site famously came to be known as the Rock Garden. It was officially recognised in 1976 and became a key tourist attraction of Chandigarh.
Haryana’s Jind, Karnal districts and Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar district have been added into the conurbation National Capital Region (NCR).
Decision in this regard was taken at 35th meeting of National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB) held New Delhi. The meeting was presided by Union Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu who is Chairman of the NCRPB.
The meeting was attended by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and representatives and government officials of other member states.
With this inclusion the total districts in NCR has rose to 23 (including Delhi NCT) which covers a total area of 51,109 square km.
About National Capital Region (NCR)
- NCR is the designation for the conurbation or metropolitan area formed by National Capital Region Planning Board (NCRPB).
- It encompasses the entire Delhi NCT and urban areas surrounding it in neighboring states of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- NCRPB is statutory body established in 1985 under the National Capital Region Planning Board Act, 1985 to develop a planned metropolitan development NCR region.
- It also seeks to protect Delhi’s infrastructure from excessive pressure by diverting increasing population from the region.
- NCR is India’s largest and one of the world’s largest agglomerations in terms of population (around 54,000,000 as per 2011 Census).