States Current Affairs - 2019
Current Affairs 2019-2020 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states and may be useful for State PCS / Civil services examinations of various states of India.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Governor’s rule has been imposed in the state of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
It was imposed after President Pranab Mukherjee approved the recommendation of J&K Governor N. N. Vohra as there is deadlock in the State over formation of a new government after state assembly election.
Earlier, Governor had submitted a report to the President, after caretaker Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had resigned.
Jammu Kashmir State assembly election held in December 2014 had given hung verdict as no party has majority to form government in State.
In this election, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has emerged as the single largest party with 28 seats in the 87 members House. While Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) has emerged second largest party winning 25 seats. But both parties failed to get the magic figure of 44 to form a government.
Other parties like National Conference (NC) have 15 MLAs while Indian National Congress (INC) has 12 MLA’s.
What is Governor Rule in Jammu & Kashmir?
- In case of failure of constitutional machinery in any other state of India, the President’s Rule is imposed under Article 356 of the Constitution.
- But in case of J&K, as per Section 92 of state Constitution, the Governor’s Rule can be imposed in the state for a period of six months only after the consent of the President of India in case of failure of constitutional machinery. During the Governors rule, State Assembly is either suspended or dissolved.
- If the Constitutional machinery is not restored before the expiry of this six month period, the provision of Article 356 of the Constitution of India are extended to J&K and the President’s rule is imposed in the State.
- It should be noted that, Governors rule has been imposed in the state for the 6 time since 1977.
Tags: Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) • Current Affairs 2016 • Indian National Congress (INC) • Jammu and Kashmir • National Conference (NC) • Omar Abdullah • Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) • Pranab Mukherjee
M. Karunanidhi has been re-elected as the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party’s President for the 11th time. He was elected by the newly constituted general council of party.
Facts about Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party
- It is a state political party in South Indian state of Tamil Nadu and Union Territory (UT) Puducherry.
- It was founded in 1949 in then Madras Presidency by C. N. Annadurai as a breakaway faction from the Dravidar Kazhagam (known as Justice Party till 1944) headed by Periyar.
- It was a former member of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
- Karunanidhi was elected President of the Party on July 27, 1969 after C.N. Annadurai’s death. Since then he is President of Party.
- This party also holds the distinction of being the first party in India other than the Indian National Congress (INC) to win state-level elections with a clear majority on its own in any state.
Chief Ministers of DMK in Tamil Nadu
- N Annadurai– He was first CM of DMK. He was in office from 1967-69.
- M. Karunanidhi- He was CM on five separate occasions. They are 1969-71, 1971-76, 1989-91, 1996-2001, 2006-11.