States Current Affairs - 2019
Current Affairs 2019-2020 of all States with latest updates. Current Affairs will list latest developments, issues in all states and may be useful for State PCS / Civil services examinations of various states of India.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Maharashtra government has given nod to confined genetically modified (GM) food trails in state.
In this regard, state government has granted no-objection certificates (NOC) for open field trials of 5 genetically modified (GM) crops. They are rice, chana (chickpeas), maize, brinjal and cotton.
NOC was granted by state government after state-level Committee, headed by Anil Kakodkar had given clearance for field test of these five GM crops.
Based upon the results of these trials, government take further steps.
With this decision, Maharashtra has become the fourth state after Punjab, Delhi and Andhra Pradesh to approve open field trials in GM crops.
Confined trials: It is typically carried out in small plots of one hectare or less. It is primarily meant to collect data on the potential bio-safety impact of the GM crop lines.
Why state governments NOC are required for GM food trails?
- Earlier, Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) under the previous UPA Environment Ministry had permitted field trials of GM food in India.
- But GEAC had inserted mandatory condition of separate NOCs from states for such trials.
- So, states like Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan have banned such research activities.
The World Bank has released report Scaling the Heights: Social inclusion and sustainable development on Himachal Pradesh.
It was released by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dhani Ram Shandil in Shimla.
This was first of its kind report prepared by the World Bank for Himachal Pradesh. The report reveals that state has effectively balanced economic growth with social inclusion.
Some facts from report
- Himachal Pradesh has emerged as one of the states with the best human development outcomes in the country.
- The performance in poverty reduction, education, women employment and health sectors was much better as compared to other states in India.
- The state had also taken lead in implementation of various national programmes and had given special emphasis on infrastructural development.
- The state had prepared a plan to mitigate the natural disasters which had been well appreciated by the government of India.
- But female child sex ratio, under-nutrition in children and an ageing population still remain issues of concern in the state.