UPSC Current Affairs - 2019
Latest Current Affairs 2018-2019 for UPSC IAS / Civil Services Examination. This category comprises the current affairs short notes useful primarily for UPSC preliminary examination and upsc mains as well as state civil services examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The 4th India-ASEAN Expo and Summit was inaugurated by Union Minister for Commerce and Industries, Suresh Prabhu. The summit will be held between 21-23 February 2019 in New Delhi.
India-ASEAN Expo Summit
- The India-ASEAN Expo Summit is organised with FICCI to carry forward the momentum and to further strengthen India-ASEAN relations under the Act-East Policy.
- The 4th India-ASEAN Expo and Summit aim to build upon the success of the previous edition of ASEAN-India Business and Investment Meet and Expo which was held in 2018 as a precursor to India-ASEAN Commemorative Summit.
- The Summit aims to provide a platform for the policy makers, industry captains and business leaders to come together and forge a common vision for India and ASEAN’s mutual growth and progress.
- The Expo Summit provides a platform for buyer-seller meetings to provide business leaders with an opportunity to closely interact with their counterparts and consolidate B2B and B2G relations.
The summit will host various Plenary Sessions on sectoral engagements with ASEAN which will be attended by the Ministers and other eminent delegates from ASEAN and India.
ASEAN or Association of South East Asian Nations is an association of nations brought into existence on August 8, 1967, after ASEAN declaration (also known as Bangkok declaration).
ASEAN aims to promote social progress, economic growth and cultural development between member countries and resolution of differences by peaceful negotiations.
Founder countries of ASEAN were Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines and Thailand. Later the body expanded with the joining of 5 more nations Brunei Darussalam, Lao PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam and Cambodia did the latest entry into the group in 1999.
Union Minister of State for Food Processing Industries Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti inaugurated Sikaria Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd at Village Tulakona in Agartala. This is the 17th Mega Food Park in the country and first in the state of Tripura.
Highlights about the Mega Food Park of Tripura
- The Mega Food Park has been set up in 50 acres of land at the cost of Rs. 87.45 crore.
- The food park is having facilities of fully operational Dry warehouse and material handling of 5000 MT, Pineapple canning and Pulping line of 2 MT/Hr each, Packing Unit, Ripening Chambers of 40 TPD, Cold Storage of 5000 MT with Frozen Storage of 1000 MT, Quality Control, Research & Development Centre.
- The Mega Food Park also has fully developed Industrial plots for setting up processing units and Standard Design Factory (SDF) Sheds to provide ready to move in the facility for micro and small enterprises.
- The Mega Food Park will leverage an additional investment of about Rs. 250 crores in 25-30 food processing units in the park and generate a turnover of about Rs. 450-500 Crore annually.
- The Park will also provide direct and indirect employment to 5000 people and benefit about 25000 farmers.
Mega Food Park Scheme
The Mega Food Park scheme was initiated in 2008. These mega food parks create modern infrastructure facilities for food processing along the value chain from farm to market along with strong forward and backward linkages through a cluster-based approach.
The Ministry of Food Processing is implementing Mega Food Park Scheme to give a major boost to the food processing sector by adding value and reducing food wastage at each stage of the supply chain with a particular focus on perishables. The government of India provides financial assistance up to Rs. 50.00 Crore per Mega Food Park project.