UPSC Current Affairs – 2019
Latest Current Affairs 2018-2019 for UPSC IAS / Civil Services Examination. This category comprises the current affairs short notes useful primarily for UPSC preliminary examination and upsc mains as well as state civil services examinations.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The London-based Times Higher Education (THE), a global organisation that produces data, analysis and expertise on higher education has released the Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019. The 2019 ranking comprises of 450 universities from 43 countries, across four continents.
The rankings use 13 performance indicators to provide comprehensive and balanced comparisons to reflect the characteristics of the emerging economy universities.
These 13 performance indicators are grouped under 5 categories: Teaching (the learning environment); Research (volume, income and reputation); citations (research influence); International outlook (staff, students and research); and industry income (knowledge transfer).
Findings in the Rankings
The standings of Indian universities in the rankings are as outlined below:
- The Indian Institute of Science has topped the rankings among Indian institutes with 14th rank; the second spot among Indian Institutes was occupied by the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay with 27th rank.
- IIT Roorkee has moved up by 21 places to 35th rank due to improvements in its research (volume, income and reputation) and industry income (knowledge transfer).
- IIT Indore (61st) and the JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research are at joint 64th position.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University has moved up by 87 positions to joint 93rd, alongside the National Autonomous University of Mexico. The increase in the rankings of Savitribai Phule Pune University is attributed to its research score and a significant rise to its citations score.
- Banaras Hindu University, Amrita University, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune and IIT Hyderabad also features among the top 150 in the rankings.
The Universities of Mainland China are most represented in the rankings with 72 institutions in total.
Tags: Amrita University • Banaras Hindu University • Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019 • IIT Hyderabad • IIT Indore • IIT Roorkee • Indian Institute of Science • Indian Institute of Science Education and Research • Indian Institute of Technology Bombay • JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research • Savitribai Phule Pune University • Times Higher Education
The City Momentum Index of JLL which identifies World Dynamic Cities has been released by the property consultant JLL.
About the Index
The City Momentum Index of JLL measures momentum for 131 of the world’s most commercially active cities by tracking a range of socio-economic and commercial real estate indicators over a three-year period to identify the urban economies and real estate markets undergoing the most rapid expansion.
The Index measures short-term momentum over a three-year horizon and identifies urban economies and real estate markets which are currently undergoing significant rapid growth.
World Dynamic Cities 2019
The standings of the various cities under the 2019 survey are listed below:
- Silicon Valley of India, Bengaluru has emerged as the world’s most dynamic city among 131 major established and emerging business hubs globally.
- The Second place is occupied by Hyderabad.
- Other Indian cities which featured in the top 20 list are Delhi (4th), Pune (5th), Chennai (7th) and Kolkata (20th).
- 19 of the top 20 cities from are from the Asia Pacific. This showcases the region’s rapid urbanisation and strong economic growth.
The Index notes that implementation of reforms such as RERA and GST with a focus on improving infrastructure and improving ease of doing business has brought in more transparency in the real estate sector and has given a strong impetus to the sector. As a result, India is receiving greater interest from foreign real estate investors who are seeking to tap into the countries favourable growth dynamics.
Tags: Asia-Pacific • Bengaluru • Chennai • City Momentum Index • Delhi • GST • Hyderabad • JLL • Kolkata • Pune • RERA • Silicon Valley of India • World Dynamic Cities 2019 • world's most dynamic city