CCEA approves extension of implementation of CCTNS Project by one year
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved t extension of the implementation phase of the Crime and Criminals Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) Project for another year beyond 31 March 2017.
The proposal in this regard was forwarded by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs. The extension will help in achieving the remaining objectives of the project comprehensively.
What is Crime and Criminals Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) Project?
CCTNS is a mission mode project under the National e-Governance Plan of Central Government that aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing by adopting of principle of e-Governance. It seeks to create nationwide networking infrastructure for evolution of IT-enabled-state-of-the-art tracking system for investigation of crime and detection of criminals. It was originally approved in 2009.
Objective of CCTNS
- The core objective of CCTNS is to connect all the police stations so that any of the police stations can contact any other police station.
- The interlinking of police stations will facilitate collection, storage, retrieval, analysis and transfer the information among police stations, state headquarters and central police organizations.
- Under it, approximately 14,000 police stations throughout the country will be automated along with 6000 higher offices in police hierarchy. Scientific and technical organizations will be also connected with it.
- Moreover, Inter-operable Criminal Justice System (ICJS) also aims to integrate the CCTNS project with the e-courts and e-prisons databases and with the other pillars of the criminal justice system. It was added in 2015.
Key Features of the project
- Deliver various web based police related services to citizens and computerise police processes.
- Facilitate a pan-India search of crime and criminal records of individuals through a national database.
- Generate crime and criminal reports at the state and central level to inform policy interventions.
- Facilitate transparency and speed in police service delivery, online registration of complaints and crime reporting.
- Provide pan-India search on complete national crime and criminal database that is make database accessible to the Investigating Officers throughout the country.
- Improve inter-state tracking of criminal movement by provide search facility to police in regional languages.
- Provide reliable network connectivity to all Police Stations in the country.
- National level crime analytics that will be published at, increased frequency to help policy and law makers in taking data backed timely actions and in making appropriate policy interventions.
- It will expedite various kinds of police verification requests and investigation by integrating the project various e-Governance projects such as Aadhaar, National Population Register, Vaahan Project etc.
- Enhance hi-tech investigation capability by incorporating advanced features such as biometric based identification, trend and pattern analytics etc.
Categories: Governance & Politics