CERN formally confers its Associate Membership to Pakistan
Pakistan was formally conferred Associate Membership status by European Organisation for Nuclear Research (also known as CERN).
The membership was granted after Pakistan formally completed the required internal ratification process. With this, Pakistan became the first Asian country to become member of CERN.
What it means to Pakistan?
It will open a new era of scientific cooperation between CERN and Pakistani scientific community. Henceforth, Pakistan can attend the meetings of CERN council and also participate in the governance of the organisation. It will also open gateway for industries from Pakistan to bid for CERN contracts.
- European Organization for Nuclear Research (also known as CERN) is the world’s largest particle physics laboratory.
- CERN in French stands for Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire.
- It has 22 member states. Israel is the first and only non-European country with full membership status.
- Location: It is situated in the North West suburbs of Geneva on the France-Switzerland Border. Established: It was established in 1954.
- Main function: To provide the infrastructure needed for high energy physics research including particle accelerators.
- It should be noted that, India is currently having observer status in CERN programmes.
Categories: International Current Affairs 2017