Chile wins 2016 Copa America Football tournament
Defending champion Chile won the 2016 Copa America Football tournament by defeating Argentina in a penalty shootout.
In the final match played at MetLife Stadium, New Jersey (US) Chile defeated Argentina by 4-2 goals in the penalty shootout as in the regulation period both teams failed to score goal.
This was second Copa America title won by Chile after winning it for the first title in 2015 after defeating Argentina. With this, Chile also became the first team to win the title back to back since 1947.
- Golden Boot: Eduardo Vargas (Chile).
- Golden Ball: Alexis Sanchez (Chile).
- Golden Glove award: Claudio Bravo (Chile).
- Fair Play Award:
About Copa America Football title
- The Copa America (means America Cup in Spanish and Portuguese) title is an international football competition.
- It is played between the men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).
- Since the 1990s, teams from Asia and North America also are participating.
- It is oldest international continental football competition established in 1916.
- The present tournament format was restructured in 1993 which involves 12 teams. These teams compete at venues in a host nation over a period of one month.
Categories: Sports & Games