Chile wins Copa America title 2015 of football for first time
Chile won South America’s most prestigious football trophy, the Copa America title 2015 for the first time. It is Chile’s first ever international trophy in Football.
In the final match played at Santiago de Chile, the hosts defeated 14 times champion Argentina by 4-1 goals in the penalty shootout as regular match had ended in a goal-less draw.
In the penalty shootout Matías Fernández, Arturo Vidal, Alexis Sanchez and Charles Aránguiz of Chilean team scored 1 goal each. While from Argentina team only Lionel Messi scored goal in the penalty shoot.
It should be noted that Argentina had won Copa America title in 1921, 1925, 1927, 1929, 1937, 1941, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1955, 1957, 1959, 1991, 1993.
About Copa America title
- The Copa America (means America Cup in Spanish and Portuguese) title is an international football competition.
- It is played between the men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).
- It is oldest international continental football competition established in 1916.
- The present tournament format was restructured in 1993 which involves 12 teams. These teams compete at venues in a host nation over a period of one month.
- Uruguay has won this title for record 15 times in 1916, 1917, 1920, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1935, 1942, 1956, 1959, 1967, 1983, 1987, 1995 and 2011.