China successfully launches three satellites
China has successfully launched three (one domestic and two foreign) satellites namely Ziyuan III 02 satellite and two NewSat satellites.
They were launched on the back of a Long March 4B rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre in northern Shanxi Province. It was the 228th flight mission by a Long March carrier rocket.
- Ziyuan III 02 satellite: It is new civilian high-resolution mapping satellite and second in the remote-sensing mapping system that China plans to build by 2030.
- It will join its predecessor Ziyuan III 01 to form a network and capture high-definition 3-D images and multispectral data.
- Ziyuan III 02 is capable to collect 3-D images of objects 2.5 metres or longer and is able to reduce deviation of vertical positioning to 1 metre using an onboard laser range finder.
- It will be used for land resource surveys, agricultural development, natural disaster prevention, water resource management and urban planning, among others applications.
- Two NewSat satellites: They have been developed by URUGUS S A, the Uruguayan subsidiary of Argentine company Satellogic.
Categories: Science and Technology Current Affairs - 2017