Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders (Amendment) Bill, 2014 passed in Lok Sabha
The Lok Sabha has passed the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders (Amendment) Bill, 2014. It was passed by a voice vote. The Bill seeks to amend the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 and the Constitution (Sikkim) Scheduled Castes Order, 1978.
- The bill includes certain communities in the list of Scheduled Castes from Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, and Tripura. They are
- Kerala: Pulluvan, Thachar (other than ‘Carpenter’).
- Madhya Pradesh:
- Odisha: Amata, Amath, Bajia, Jaggili, Jagli, Buna Pano.
- Tripura: Chamar-Rohidas, Chamar-Ravidas, Dhobi, Jhalo-Malo.
- This amendment Bill removes a Majhi (Nepali) community from the list of Scheduled Castes in Sikkim.
The bill was first tabled in 2012 but lapsed after the previous Lok Sabha was dissolved and the NDA government again had introduced it August, 2014 in Lok Sabha.